Anybody cut ABS Plastic

Can we cut ABS plastics 1/8", and if so, does is cut well on the FSL?

You can’t cut ABS on the laser cutters. It is one of the banned substances.

1 Like

@wandrson could you post a link to where we can see that it is banned? Not that I doubt you, just so I and others know where to look in the future.

Also, I’ve cut ABS on other laser cutters and I remember having an issue with melting more than cutting cleanly. But, I was using a lower powered laser which could of been the culprit.

@Nick

Your request is my command! :grin:

http://atxhackerspace.org/wiki/Laser_Cutter_Materials#NEVER_CUT_THESE_MATERIALS

1 Like

Nice link @wandrson,
In my searching, I ran across an old thread that talks about the approved materials for the laser.

Excerpt about ABS:

2 Likes

I’ve cut ABS (the disc cover of an original playstation) on the lasersaur, I had to do like 5 passes at 80% power, it basically cuts but mostly melts out, leaving scorch marks, and smells exactly like the 3D printed ABS. I don’t think it’s as caustic as polycarbonate.

1 Like

I read the same link as @wandrson provided. That link claims that cutting abs creates cyanide gas when cutting. Don’t think that would be good to have around.

Traditionally we have had the stance that ABS is fine to cut but you needed to leave the door shut after the cut finished for a while longer so it could pull out all of the stink.

There’s examples of cut ABS up at the space right now, it cuts perfectly fine.

1 Like

Job is super small, like 4 small 1 inch circles…so from what i am reading this ok to do, just wanted the OK to do so prior to attempting, thanks to all who commented.

Just remember to vent it well and you will be alright. Its not like pvc where it will destroy the machine

1 Like

Yes sir, thanks for the confirmation and the info :slight_smile: