Any makers with a diesel car or truck?

At some point we will be hosting a biodiesel class. The question of how to dispose of the fuel from the class came up; I suggested we could just give it to members with diesel vehicles. We will also get some glycerine as a byproduct, if anyone has a use for that. This is initially just a demonstration scale, to make at most a few liters of fuel at a time each time a class is given, so this is not going to impact anyone’s fuel savings.

Although who knows, someone with a diesel vehicle might “catch the bug” after taking the class and decide to scale up to high volume. It would be a great project for the space.
For now, this is strictly for educational purposes.

Use for soap…

If you have no other takes I might try some in my John Deere tractor.

1 Like

Automotive is rebuilding a diesel Golf that I’m sure could run off biodiesel.

1 Like

Got nitric acid? :fearful::boom::scream:

1 Like

yes glycerin is great for soap, but the question is how to purify it enough.

1 Like

HAHA! someone in science does actually

1 Like
1 Like

start with pure clean vegetable oil, you will get pure clean glycerol. It is only people using waste oli who make that hideous toxic sludge. That stuff costs more to clean up (enough for soap) than getting clean glycerol in first place. It is good as firestarter though, can make logs with sludge glycerin and sawdust they burn hot.

1 Like

SHHHH! SHHH! Josh did not mean that. WE have no nitric acid. Chemists never use nitric acid. It is not a fundamental reagent AT ALL. There is nobody here but us chickens.

1 Like

someone poured some out in the workshop the other day, I heard that people died. Lol

1 Like

I think you have to pay road use taxes (or whatever Texas calls them) to use the biodiesel for an on road vehicle.

Nope, such tollways were created simply to give another teat for consultants like myself to suck at. The other ones were drying up a bit and we needed the money to flow.

1 Like