Any Knife makers Willing to share knowledge

I’m wanting to make friction folders and locking folders anyone interested in Teaching?

1 Like

I’m interested in learning as well.

Hi and apparently welcome to DMS!

Most of the time I’m usually found in metal shop or Automotive but I’ve also been playing around with knife-making and blacksmithing for a little while, however the two that I default to when I have questions would be @jbrown885 and @fender84. They are wells of information, love to talk about it which makes them excellent sources of information.

Another source that I have found where you can learn a lot of principles and theories is YouTube, but that is a rabbit hole and I have personally gotten lost in that rabbit-hole for several hours at a time, lol!

The two sources I mentioned would also be able to let you know what you would have to do for prerequisites as in a hot process safety class, a class on the induction Forge and power hammer, Etc.

Thank you.

Hot Process Safety isn’t required for knife work. That’s a Metal Shop requirement, and Black Smithing has their safety process built into their classes, rather than split out.

Now, if you wanted to cut blanks on the Dynatorch, you’d need Hot Process Safety. Not saying that that’s the way to go, just information.

Ok, thought it was because when I took induction forge and kmg class, the instructor at the time said that hot process safety was required before taking the class.

Maybe once upon a time?

Hot Process safety is not required for any Blacksmithing Class at this time. Each class teaches the specific safety for the equipment contained in the class. Currently we are only doing beginner courses so those also cover the requirements for using the Blacksmithing area. Feel free to ask any other questions you have.

2 Likes

I’m not arguing that I’m just stating what was told to us two years ago when I took the blacksmithing classes.
If it’s changed, it’s changed. Now I have the updated information.

I did not think you were arguing, I thought you were stating the way it was and figured that since I teach the Induction Forge/KMG class I would clarify just in case. :slight_smile:

2 Likes