Any interest in.......... class speculation and newb questions

Hi all!!! im a new DMS member and am eager to earn my keep as it were and doing some learning on the side that is the over all goal of this post however it is lodged i think firmly in the Uncategorized section because this idea will involve many different areas/categories so with all that out of the way now lets get to the meat of this post my question(s) before the hive is this/are these:

I would like to teach a class on chainmaille covering ring making, some basic material and tool info, beginner weaves, and intermediate applications and i would like to know what materials i should supply attendees and if anyone would even be interested in attending

BUT WAIT THERE"S MORE!!!

i would be somewhat unfulfilled if it ended there i would like this to be a series of classes with more than just myself teaching if possible (though if necessary i will certainly do my best) i would like further classes to include from our costume makers ideas’s/techniques on how to properly put chain or scale seams in wearable projects, from our metal working masters how best to modify tools for use on rings you wish not to mar and for materials that may be harder to work with (such as stainless steel) and finally things of a more advanced nature from our science people the chemistry behind patina’s possibly paired with some of our jewelry folk for tips/tricks/techniques for application and sealing

so for that possibly overly idealistic laundry list of goals i would further like to know if there is anyone interested in helping out and how we would go about setting up such a thing and for that matter if it is even a realistic goal

EDIT: had a friend look over this before posting to remove some rambling and they recommended i give examples of knowledge i can contribute and teaching experience… sooo… ummmm… here goes?

just recently got out of the navy so my teaching has been limited to captive audiences for nuclear power (~6 years doing/teaching) , CPR (~2.5yrs teaching and program managing), and chainmaille (~2 years doing taught one 11yo girl)

i know several chainmaille weaves and have made a scale vest for me and a scale bikini style top for funzies and a few bracelets earrings bookmarks keychains etc. the thing i am best at however is making scale flowers and woven wire stems and i am starting to make my own patinaed copper scales

most recently i turned my DMS key fob into a keychain/fidget toy and i am certain i am forgetting to mention some stuff but there you have it

finally if this is the wrong place or for some reason the entire post is somehow wrong i apologize for getting my newb all over the place :stuck_out_tongue:

7 Likes

Welcome Welcome!

Personally I’d love to learn more chainmail and wire weaving skills. We had a small class last year which was well attended so I’m sure you will have no problems filling a classroom!

If you need help with getting a class submitted etc feel free to send me a PM and I’ll do what I can

Also, you mention teaching nuclear? I’m not involved in the group but we have a nuclear interest group I believe, who meet fairly often

2 Likes

i would happily send you a PM unfortunately even if i have reached that level of trust on the forums i dont know how to go about it that said i would happily accept any help i can get in setting up my first class and i did read the bit on the site about scheduling it i get that and i dont think i need help with that im not quite THAT lazy :stuck_out_tongue: however again im not sure what materials i need to supply for the class or anything else in that vein so… umm… and go?..

1 Like

as an interesting addition (at least to me) i know of some folk in other areas/countries that might be interested in doing Q&A sessions with inquiring minds if i can set up a medium and agreeable time

EDIT: that in case i was unclear was an invitation for the digital media folk interested in volunteering to help me plug inquiring mind A into information source B, C, D and/or E hopefully by may 21st but ill take what i can get XD

1 Like

Hiya Tony (@Mandaris) ~ Welcome to the 'Space! :smiley:

I’m horrible with names; but, I believe I met you and your friend the other night when y’all joined. You were showing me a pic of the chainmail top while we were grabbing key fobs, if that’s you… :slight_smile:

I love your enthusiasm; and, as I mentioned before (assuming that was y’all…), there definitely seems to be some interest in chainmaille at the 'Space… I know I find it fascinating for sure! :smiley:

You have a lot of great ideas ~ I’m excited to see what types of classes you come up with!

Don’t forget to post some of the work you do at the 'Space on our current Show and Tell thread… I imagine you will have some interesting items to post!

Finally, no need to apologize for getting your newb all over the place… :stuck_out_tongue: However, in an effort to maximize the chances that this thread will be seen by other members, I have moved it to the #classrooms:interest-check category. This thread is a perfect example of the types of posts that fit well in the Interest Check category - as you are literally using it to gauge interest in what you have to offer. :smiley: The reason that “uncategorized” is not a good place to post, is that the threads do not show up on the main list of “recent posts” (which is the default view…).

Thanks!
:dms: :plasmacam_smiley:

2 Likes

yup thats me :smiley:

thanx for the move i didnt even see that as a category option and i shall send pics of my new DMS key fob key chain as soon as i get around to taking some

1 Like

I’d take a chainmialle class. I can do it but it’s like a penguin picking up a football so I would love to learn best practices

I can partner up and teach some wire kumi applications or fancy pants not circle chains/jig design classes…I have jotted down some ideas but need to wait until I can’t make a jewelry committee meeting before I roll them out en force since materials costs are far more substantial than a regular CA class and any personal surplus goes to work.

1 Like

on a loosely related note on etiquette would it be appropriate to post in the media or volunteer opportunity sections to try and find someone willing to techie this up for me?

Teaching is one of the great ways to contribute to the Makerspace. Your time and efforts mean a lot. Makers learning new skills is important.

We are big and diverse enough that I would expect that any member that has something they are skilled at there would be other members interested.

Get with Mark or myself: [email protected] and I’ll see it gets forwarded to Mark.

Thanks for becoming an active member.

2 Likes

UPDATE: thanks to some helpful input from one of your fellow members i will be learning to use google hangouts for the video conference for the Q&A so thats another bit is sorted now we just have to figure out a time for this thing im shooting for may 25-31

UPDATE: well folks the technological hurdle for the chainmalle Q&A session seems to have been conquered now it is just a matter of scheduling a time with everyone and i am working on that currently with a tentative date of 24may 1400-??

1 Like

still banging my head against scheduling that said we are making progress and still on track for late may so far i have on the hook folks that specialize in chain weaves, tool modification, work in stainless, scales, and wearable designs (such as gloves,vests and dresses) and these are just the topics i have personally picked their brains on

these people represent every level of expertise from beginner all the way to successful business owners so no question is too big or too small and i myself am extremely stoked

currently it looks like i will have a date finalized in about 4 days and then i will announce the date here and schedule it on the event calendar

1 Like

UPDATE: ok the date has been finalized as 26MAY2017 at 1500 CST in the lecture hall i think i have correctly submitted it to the event calendar but when i did it had me log in again and reset the form so im not sure if it went through any of you that do know for sure feel free to chime in :stuck_out_tongue:

You sure it’s not CDT in May, in Texas?
:wink:

I don’t see it on the scheduled or pending events.

Usually when it times out, it’s lost and needs to be submitted again.

What I do to help prevent it from timing out, is I type everything that will go in the title, short description, and long description into a text file - before I log into the event calendar. That way I just have to select all of the applicable options, then copy/paste the text into the appropriate fields which makes it more likely to work. :slight_smile:

I am aware it is CDT and thank you for the correction I have been scheduling with people in other countries that don’t necessarily use DST and it has instilled in me some bad habbits

1 Like

just two more days to go folks gotta say im super excited and cant wait to see you all there (26MAY17 1500/3pm lecture hall)

3 Likes

ok folks per request here are some useful links that were mentioned in the event

Specs on heinrich’s ring sculpture:

Weave catalog:
www.mailleartisans.org

weaves kits and supplies by Joshua Dillberto
www.joshuadiliberto.com

kits and supplies
http://www.7marmoury.ca/

http://www.metaldesignz.com/

Northcoast armor offering supplies kits weaves and more by Sandra Dalies

1 Like