Any interest in class on making dulcimer sticks

I had a member approach me today and ask if I was going to teach a class on making the dulcimer sticks that some of you may have seen me working on.

So if I offered a class that covered the following:

• Selecting woods
  • Determining sizes
  • Calculating Fret locations
  • Accurately placing and sawing fret locations
  • Process for creating the various parts with suggestions on how to make them
  • Sources for all of the materials, including some of the hard to source locally (fret wire)

Would you be interested and if so would you prefer a weeknight class or a weekend class. I expect the class to take maybe two hours.

2 Likes

Yes!!! Anything luthier related would be awesome

Yes, I agree with @TheNorthForty.

Preference for week night or weekend?

Week night would be my preference, but I’m flexible. Could also do daytime.

For those who don’t know what I am talking about this is a stick dulcimer;

They can be built in a weekend. My first is hanging in the art show. If your curious about it feel free to strum the strings to get a feel for what they sound like.

@HankCowdog. since you were the one who asked, what is your preference?

2 Likes

Sundays are typically out for me (I work for my church running AV/tech). Aside from Monday nights, I’m generally free most week nights and weekends

My preference would be 7pm Thursday (my usual DMS night), but with that being Open House night, it might not be the best time for a class. Otherwise, I’d pick weeknights at/after 7pm. On a Monday or Tuesday?

Okay, I have submitted a class to the calendar for Wednesday evening, 5/4, at 7:00p in the interactive classroom. Hank, I to thought about Thursday, by agree the open house isn’t a good night. Unfortunately, I have commitments on Monday and Tuesday. Hope this schedule works for everyone.

4 Likes

Works for me. Added to my calendar.

Sorry Walter,

I was all set to take this class then realized it is the same day and time as a prior commitment. I’ll keep looking in the hopes that it repeats sometime. If not are there handouts I could get?

@Terrence

I have created a wiki page with all of the class materials, which will include after the class an audio recording of the class.

https://dallasmakerspace.org/wiki/DulcimerStickClassNotes#Class_Notes_for_How_to_make_a_dulcimer_stick

2 Likes

Also a reminder, the class is tomorrow night in the interactive classroom. This is a one-time class, it is unlikely I will offer it again.

1 Like

For those who attended, or may have been interested in this class, I just added an audio file to the wiki page of the class as presented last night. Along with the slides this audio file should give you most of what the folks who attended got from the class.

At @HankCowdog suggestion I added a section to the wiki for notes from people who make the instruments. In particular, since these folk instruments offer a lot of variation, particularly in sizing, these notes are a place to document what works and didn’t work on any builds that we may attempt. If you make one, please provide photos, sound files, notes, etc…

https://dallasmakerspace.org/wiki/DulcimerStickClassNotes#Construction_Notes

Unfortunately, I can’t play an instrument to save my life, so if someone who can would help me by playing a couple of samples for each of the instruments I’ve built, I would like to add audio files of the instruments to my construction notes.

3 Likes