Any ideas for what to do with this?

I rescued a large portion of a tree. I wanted to cut it into slabs and use for serving pieces or an easy end grain cutting board but the bandsaw is too small (anyone have a chainsaw or suggestion for where I can cut this?)

Alternatively some suggested I use it as a small table or something, but don’t think it’s big enough.

Thoughts?

We have an electric chainsaw at the space that’ll be some work to get through but with any chain saw your finished cut cookie will be far from
Level and most likely have high spots close to 2 in which none of our machine would be capable of flattening so you’d either have to use the cnc or build a router sled or omish style it close to flat with a hand saw and then run it through the sander, without the bark and once is thoughly dried, my recommendation would be carve crazy contours into it, very insanely pronounced random dips and valleys creating cool grain patterns to be exposed, leaving 4 little spots on the top level and get a piece of beveled glass and set it on top

1 Like

These would make short work of the carving

Where do we keep the chainsaw? Interesting idea for a table, thanks!

Literally out of reach, it’s on top the miter cabinet, when plugging it in take the cord and tie a knot in it or it will constantly fall off, always have 6 inches of lift minimum between log and ground image and rule of thumb if you can’t stand on top of it you don’t have it braced and sturdy enough to start chainsawing, if you can stand on it without it wiggling or wobbling you’re good to go

Cool, thanks for the info!

Do you happen to know the length of chainsaw, ie what cut depth we can get?

I think it has a 12 or 16” bar, but I’m leaning towards 12” if I can recall