Any Gardeners at DMS?

I got an email from one of my favorite places to buy gardening seeds and supplies from: Territorial Seed Company. In the email was an advertisement for this:

which is used to plant seeds. It costs $34. I thought I could turn the shape from some maple I already have, turn a metal tip from some metal I already have and laser the numbers and measurements on it, too. Of course, I’d have a lot more than $34 worth of time in it, but hey isn’t that the way a maker thinks?

Anyway, I don’t really need another dibber since I already have one, but it does make me wonder about making a bunch of them in a class…hmmm.

9 Likes

I think that would be a great class! I made several this year for neighbors and they like them quite a bit!

1 Like

If I’m being honest: I’m terrible about committing to things right now because of life
BUT I think this is a fun idea and if I’m available I’d def consider taking as a class.

Count me in!

Count me in, too!

Just to clarify - The ones I made were wood only and not laser etched. I did groove “Inch” marks up to about four inches. Neighbors say they are holding up well. Dan - I know you’ve both metal and wood lathe expertise - Is this something you’re thinking of setting up? Might be a nice fusion of metal and wood skills?

Acrtually, I’ve only been TRAINED on the metal lathe, I haven’t made much there. The wood lathe on the other hand I’ve done lots of stuff. I thought it might be fun to laser the markings and maybe even put a DMS logo on it.

I’m not a laser expert but I’ve used it to cut electric RC foam aircraft from, lasered a pen set for a friend’s 50th anniversary and etched a Baylor Bears mascot onto a Yeti tumbler, but that’s about it.

I may have to turn one just to get a feel for what is required before I attempt to teach a class.

1 Like

Sanding cord?

The tip would be super easy on the Sherline.

I did a point cut with a skew to start and then burned it with a wire. Made it roughly an eighth deep hoping it wouldn’t clog up with damp soil. I used BLO for finish - Three coats I think. I like it for tool handles because it’s still “grippy”.

1 Like

I’d sign up for that class. It’s hard sometimes to find something to make that you or someone you know needs. This would fit the bill nicely.

Post here moved to Projects to Teach In Blacksmithing - #5 by Julie-Harris