Any Bench Jewelers?

Do we have any active bench jewelers here? I’m just getting started, with no official training, and trying to find someone local who is willing to share knowledge.

I’m currently at Stuller’s Bench Jewelers Workshop in Lafayette if anyone else is here :blush:

Any stone setting classes coming maybe?

Yes! I’m Joseph, the department chairperson. I hope you had fun at the Battle of the Benches. I do wish I could have made it down there. Maybe next year!

There are a few members here that are bench jewelers. @Jcastanon most recently taught a bezel-setting class. Tonight @Ryanmcdowell is teaching an enameling class. @sroriginals has a soldiering class on 4/10, @John_Marlow will have a casting class up soon, and @paulmarkow will hopefully have an intro to hand engraving in the next few weeks.

We have a Jewelry committee meeting on the second Tuesday of each month via Google Meet. If you would like to join, the info is on the Events calendar. In the meantime, stop by the department to introduce yourself and say hello!

5 Likes

For clarification and truth-in-advertising, I’m not a bench jeweler - just an engineer who needed to learn how to make castings.

3 Likes

Thanks Joseph! I’ll be signing up for classes for sure!

@nausser915, I just took a look at the jewelry cams to get an idea of what equipment is available since I was last a member (a couple years ago) and see the LaserStar welder (YES!!). Do you know the model (so I can read up on it before I visit the space next)? I assume that is one of the items that will require training sign-off before being able to use - are those regularly scheduled, or just upon request?

Yes, we just recently got it up and running. It’s an old 2000 model CPP Laser Star 501-4003. However, it’s running now and operates functionally the same as most others. We have some basic training pending publication on learn.dallasmakerspace. Until then we are doing one-on-one signs off upon request. You can DM me whenever you want to schedule a time to get checked out.

2 Likes

The tools list is mostly up to date for Jewelry. Not as current on the Lapidary side …

1 Like

Please add my name to the list for that check out instruction.