[Answered] Question for those who speak small electrical connectors

I need a wiring connector that the switch shown below will plug into.
Not my expertise and know neither what it is called nor where to find.
Thanks in advance!

It looks to me like a momentary push button switch, in a panel mount format.

Unfourtunately, that’s probably not enough for you to find the exact same part without looking at tons of photos, but at least you’re closer.

Mouser or Digikey are good suppliers for electronic parts. Because it’s panel mount I’d bet Mcmaster Carr would have it too and with better photos.

Those are solder on

You might get away with something like these if there is not much current. https://www.amazon.com/Uninsulated-Female-Disconnect-22-18-0-110/dp/B00CTUOJJ2

I don’t think I’ve seen any smaller than that but they maybe out there.

Thanks. So, I suspect/hope these 2.8mm Female Spade Quick Connectors will have a pretty good chance working with 2mm tabs.

https://www.amazon.com/mxuteuk-Connectors-Terminal-Insulating-15X-1-RBK/dp/B08FHVKMY9

The only risk is that the tabs on that switch are very thin, and may be too thing for the faston/quick connector to reliably grab on. Were I doing it and needed it connectorized, I’d solder wires and put a connector on the wires.

The other observation I’ll make is that those switches are not very rugged. If you expect them to see regular use I’d use something more industrially rated. Those are likely to be available with 1/4" faston/quick connects.

Like these options in stock at Mouser in Mansfield:

https://www.mouser.com/c/electromechanical/switches/pushbutton-switches/?q=no%20pushbutton&contact%20form=SPST-NO&mounting%20style=Bushing%20Mount|~Panel%20Mount|~Panel%20Mount%2C%20Snap-In~~Panel%20Seal%2C%20PCB%20Mount&termination%20style=Quick%20Connect&instock=y&sort=pricing&rp=electromechanical%2Fswitches%2Fpushbutton-switches|~Mounting%20Style

sorted by price (low to high)

1 Like

I will note that small momentary switches like these seem to have taken the race to the bottom to a whole new dive to the bottom approach. I have some acquired in decent quality kits that appear to be momentary suggestion switches at best. And short of going high end, there doesn’t appear to be much better in this tiny form factor.

Rich, all good points. I am in a prototyping mode, and short life is not a current concern. About the only thing Elon Musk and I agree on is that development activity should be fast and accepting of failure. His point is that doing so quickly teaches you where durability, etc. are true necessities. Now the vast difference in our wallets limits my use of this approach while he embraces learning quickly by have rocket launches end in colossal fireballs.

1 Like

This. The terminals are likely too fragile to use spade connectors. You’d be better off soldering wires to the switch than then have some other connector downstream from there (spade, JST, whatever).

1 Like

Every once in a great while, Murphy isn’t messing things up! Turns out the terminals on these switches are 25 gauge metal and are stiff enough to work with the 2.8mm Female Spade Connectors mentioned above. One good thing in an otherwise blistering hot day in DFW.

3 Likes