Another Makerspace needs our help

Yep, DMS and TheLab were bootstrapped by people would wanted to build something before they were something. For those people we are all very grateful!:+1:

9 Likes

Iā€™m holding an Open House tonight and probably every Thursday night to get traffic. We have until the end of June to make a decision. Iā€™m leaning toward taking over the thrift storeā€¦ I looked at the financials for the past few years and it makes enough money(only open 2 days a week) to sustain itself. Weā€™ll continue to grow and move the makerspace portion to the back area with extra room.

4 Likes

One crucial consideration is the landlordā€™s flexibility to allow you to make the changes you will want. Believe it or not, one of the most crucial things is the ability to put a penetration into the roof (or walls) for exhaust.

What do we need exhaust for, youā€™re asking yourself ā€¦

Laser. Number 1 need.
Possibly dust collector.
Exhaust for welding, blacksmithing, automotive.
Kilns.

I know you donā€™t have all these right now, but at some point you might.

absolutely, we have a very flexible landlord so far, we havenā€™t had the chance to sit with him as of yet, but the Fuller Center has made many changes without any objections

1 Like

I visited a Makerspace outside of Chicago, and they were horrified to find out that their landlord absolutely refused to allow them a roof penetration. They had to buy a high dollar HEPA filter for their laser.

Our landlord was willing, but we had to get permission for a specific number and specific sizes, and it has to be done by a licensed professional ('cuz ultimately the landlord is responsible if the roof leaks and some donā€™t want to take on the potential liability due to a roof exhaust).

I advise discussing that specific topic while youā€™re negotiating and before you sign.

2 Likes

Okay hereā€™s the updateā€¦ We are negotiating a smaller rent for the space with the landlord. We had an offer from Trane to get an AC if we installed it ourselves. We never followed up because we were in limbo with the property. Iā€™m planning on leveraging the installation of the AC to reduce the rent. We officially take over on the first. Hereā€™s to hoping that we can agree to a reduction and can afford the rent by sales from the thrift store alone.
I do have a request. Is there a possibility of offering our members free/reduction in DMS memberships? Kind of like, if we donā€™t have the tools go see them sort of thing. They would of course be subject to all the rules that govern your space. We are trying to model our MS to closely resemble your infrastructure so that if this is ever a possibility the transition would be relatively seamless.
Iā€™d like the idea of you all coming by to take a look see and give us some ideas or critiques. Any suggestions for when this can be a possibility?

2 Likes

This is what the honorarium program is for I am sure your members would not mind teaching some classes to give back to the organization.

are you referring to the air installation?

Sorry to clarify free/reduction in DMS memberships.

We canā€™t offer free memberships or special rates that we are not already offering to the public in general (https://dallasmakerspace.org/join/), but you and you members are welcome to come look around, tour and view the tools any time. And note many of our classes (https://calendar.dallasmakerspace.org/) are open to the public.

Thanks for considering

I wonder if some volunteers do some teach the teacher classes to spike interest once they get a space?

3 Likes

I would take an Arduino class show on the road.

3 Likes

Thatā€™s a great idea

1 Like

We would love for you to come out for that

1 Like

Based on conversations and another Talk Topic, I think a number of DMS teachers are open to coming. The format of the meetings should be considered to best optimize time of participants. Some may be centered around a class while others might be a round table with several DMS folks.

My Arduino classes are always booked for two hours and start with a lecture for 40-45 minutes followed by lab time. People start drifting out around 90 minutes and a few hang out beyond two hours. Classes are generally aimed at beginners in programming and electronics but I often attract engineers who want to get started in this fun subject. I furnish everything except the students laptop and limit classes to 6-8 so everyone gets their own parts kit.

I would think that my visits should focus just on my material. An evening would be ok but a Saturday could open up a much longer open ended session. Everyone would need table space for their laptop and a ā€œbreadboardā€ about the size of a sheet of paper. We could do more people but over 12 get to be a problem supporting everyone. A screen to show PowerPoint slides is very nice but not essential since everyone will have it on their laptop. Internet is not required. I could do a class and then run through high points of a couple other classes.

Another idea might be to get your group together and come to DMS. I could run a class totally or partially dedicated to your group. Other teachers could do so at the same at the same time. This should be planned a month out to be able to get multiple rooms. @Team_PR might do a custom tour.

I have fond memories decades ago working for Control Data Corporation and supporting engineers at E Systems Greenville. On the first trip, I left the Interstate and drove through mesquite pastures on a small highway until the mesquites opened up to reveal an industrial complex and an awesome huge white 747 Airborne Command Post!

Iā€™ll talk to my board to get started on this and father times of availability

1 Like

Gabriel, please reach out to [email protected]. Regardless of whatā€™s said or not said in this thread, we can absolutely and immediately find ways to help our fellow makerspaces, including you. Our next PR meeting is Sunday at 11, and we will have several initiatives we will be focusing on in order to lift up other Makerspaces alongside our own. Keeping these efforts within our External Affairs structure will a) ensure follow through on our promises to you and b)ensure that someoneā€™s kind offer or brilliant idea doesnā€™t fall through the cracks on these forums and not get seen by PR.

1 Like

I can do that now