Announcement: Board of Directors Election 2016

3 now at least :slight_smile: : https://dallasmakerspace.org/wiki/Category:2016_Statements_of_Intent

Yeah I have alot of respect for those that do it, but I repeat be careful what you ask for, thereā€™s pros and cons that come along with it. Just be prepared for the above as you try to make a difference all at the same time.

1 Like

I donā€™t want to say itā€™s all bad, I just wanted to let people know what they are getting themselves into before they sign up. I have enjoyed it for the most part, but there were parts I didnā€™t like. Just saying you gotta take the bad with the good. I love the DMS and happy to be a part of its growth. But then again there are non board members that go above and beyond as well. That is what this place is about and hope to see more involvement from any and all members. Even as current board member I am weighing all these pros and cons myself. Even if I decide not to run (or donā€™t get reelected if I do) I still love this place and plan to be heavily involved.

12 Likes

Same here just not on the board :slight_smile:

I only want one job, i dont want to have to get off my real job and walk right into another. Would rather just make stuff, friends and memories, without clouding it with THE BAD.

Another thing that hasnā€™t been brought up and it might be an issue for some, is that board members and their family members cannot receive honorarium. Itā€™s a long story that should be broken into another thread if there are questions.

6 Likes

Just a reminder, there are 3 days left to get statements of intent on the wiki. Currently we have just 3 entries. If you would like to be considered for the Board of Directors, donā€™t wait, get your SOI posted as soon as possible.

1 Like

When is the town hall ā€œmeet the candidatesā€ meeting?

This Thursday (3/31) at 8PM.

2 Likes

Just added mine. But I put dashes in it instead of underscores. Dā€™oh.

4 Likes

Cool Ken! You know folks if we only get one more candidate we donā€™t really need to bother with an election. Each canidate will vote for themselves and since there are only five that would mean they WIN! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Do you have to vote for 5 candidates, or up to 5?

In the past it has been up to 5.

You can vote for up to 5 candidates, in the online system if you vote for less it warns you that the remaining votes will be unused/unallocated.

2 Likes

So the lowest voted candidate gets the honorary title of court jester.

3 Likes

The Digital Media committee is taking Candidate photos this evening. Letā€™s show everyone who you are :thumbsup:
@lukeiamyourfather @themitch22 @Lampy @Robert_Davidson @brianbterry @jlcourtman

Why donā€™t they do that during the meet the candidates time this Thursday? I donā€™t think itā€™s fair to the people who canā€™t be there last minute. Also you tagged people who donā€™t have statement of intents up.

2 Likes

Mark will also be avail Thursday to take candidate photos. Mark will make the photos avail under Creative Commons licensing so folks, esp campaign managers, can use and remix as they wish.

@talkers, Mark who? Also of note, @brianbterry canā€™t run for the board at this time, he hasnā€™t been a member long enough to gain voting rights.

Just to be clear, if a candidate wants to speak/present at the Meet The Candidates, they MUST have their SOI on the wiki by Thursday, March 31st at 7pm. Again, sooner is better. These donā€™t have to be essays or anything, feel free to copy/paste.

Please correct me if I am wrong but I do not believe there is anything in the bylaws that says I must have voting rights to run for the board. I also believe I will be eligible for voting before the election ends.

1 Like

Hah, looks like you are right, you will be eligible for voting rights on April 13th, a day before the Annual Membership Meeting. Cutting it mighty close though :smile:. Please get your SOI filed on the wiki so I can include you in the online voting ballot.

Btw, here are the relevant parts of the bylaws:

https://dallasmakerspace.org/wiki/Bylaws

Section 2.1 Board of Directors
The Board shall consist of five (5) elected persons who are members in good standing and of the age of majority in the state of Texas, with no limit to the number of appointed advisers.

Section 4.1 Determination of Membership
An applicant shall only be admitted or renewed as a regular member after their membership application is approved by the appropriate policies as defined in the Standing Rules.

Section 4.5 Membership Rights and Privileges
Any regular member whose dues are paid in full, is not on probation, is not a supporting member, and who has not resigned, been suspended or has not been expelled shall be considered a member in good standing.

1 Like