And this is why we can't have nice things

I found the bandsaw blade broken again. That’s alright - stuff happens. But what didn’t happen is the person it broke on just laid it on the coldsaw and didn’t let anyone know it is broken. The bandsaw is locked out until further notice or until the person who just left mans up to it.

4 Likes

This is unnecessarily punative. We have cameras. Why not use them?

Meanwhile, many DMS dues paying members will need the use of that saw. Why not let them use it?

@Photomancer replaced the blade just yesterday.

1 Like

Someone had come and gotten me in Common room, blade was left broken in machine. Asked Chuck to teach me how to do it. Pretty simple if you’re coordinated.

It broke again, while installing. I had one really great weld, unfortunately I had the blade reversed so the teeth were pointed up, thought I might be able to invert it, but didn’t know trick/able to roll blade inside out to reverse it and had to cut it out, reverse and the next three tries were unsuccessful.

The person that was with me that Chuck showed us how to weld (well, in my case tried to show) said he’d try to weld it so I l left him to it.- I guess he wasn’t successful either.

I didn’t report it because someone else was working on it. But if that person wasn’t able to, the saw was in that condition when he found it.

So what I think I hear you saying is that someone didn’t just break it and leave it on the cold saw. That was the result of a failed repair effort?

1 Like

Yes. It had previously been left in the saw broken and unreported.

1 Like

Because the camera doesn’t cover the bandsaw.

Jeez…I would hope that at this point we had realized we need near 100% video coverage in DMS. Committee chairs can request/fund additional cameras as they feel are needed, and, I believe, Logistics (or Infrastructure?) can unilaterally put them up (almost) anywhere they see the need as well.

1 Like

Infrastructure. And until they get a newer video server there are no more slots for adding cameras. Not sure if they got that in yet… @StanSimmons will know.

2 Likes

Good to know… <!'weijhig>

Machine Shop is already covered by 3 cameras. Cameras aren’t expensive but I’m told we need the server support is where additional the cost is. @StanSimmons can better address this. It may not be an issue now like it was because of some IT magic/reconfiguring he has performed.

Ideally it would be nice to have every square inch covered. Right now they are covering the Haas from several angels, the Sherlines from several angels, and the Bridgeport and Clausing Lathe from several angels so that if something happens we can see clearly what happened.

One of the cameras also provides coverage for the adjacent committee work areas.

I was the one that found the blade broken and mentioned it to @Photomancer. I did practice on welding a few of the scraps together, but did not have any luck, mostly because I wasn’t familiar with the annealing and tempering steps for welding band saw blades - there’s a great video that covers it here - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GBwr3oPJHcs, wish I’d seen it before my half hour of attempts with the scraps hah.

Given that snapped blades are going to be a common occurrence with a band saw that sees use with any number of odd materials, it might help to have some easily accessible training linked from the wiki for the band saw.

Also, the bandsaw itself is not in a great position that close to the pillar - correctly welding a large band saw blade means you’re hitting up against a press, the pillar and several other things in that cramped area. Also, the cutting edges on the band saw blade cutter are shot and need to be replaced.

If someone more familiar with the band saw than I would like to help / provide direction, I would be happy to put in some labor to get the current blade welded up, and if it it’s possible, get the cutter blades replaced. And if I have more luck than I did before with blade welding, now that I know a little bit more about how it should be done, I’d be happy to write up some training text for the wiki.

2 Likes

James did not “leave the band saw broken” as I stated above. He found it that way, came and got me, I had Chuck show us how to weld the blade. The weld Chuck made didn’t hold when installed. (Chuck had left) I tried and failed. Even practiced on some of the pieces I believe Jay left for that purpose. No success there. James said he’d give it a try and I left frustrated.

When he couldn’t get it to work, he apparently put the blade over with the rest of the blades, he didn’t leave it in the saw, He did nothing wrong in my opinion. He tried to get help, and then tried himself after some instruction, but apparently with little more success than I had.

4 Likes

thank you for reporting that. here is a fairly accurate video on welding a blade.
bandsaw blade welding
Our bandsaw has a built in grinder so we shouldn’t need anything else. We should have the bandsaw up and running again by the weekend.

3 Likes

Well those teeth didn’t last long then. The blade welding & anealing aren’t too bad