Aluminum Welding and Cutting

Hello! We are converting an ambulance into a camper and we want to raise the roof and extend the aluminum box and frame by 3ft. We are wanting to learn aluminum welding and hopefully get an idea from more experienced individuals about how to approach this project. Will there be any classes available anytime soon? Hoping to get at least the roof raised by the end of the year…maybe even the extension done?
Already took a fantastic welding class with David and we are really excited to keep learning and kick this project into high gear!
Thanks!
Jace & Carol

We have a push pull gun, so you can MIG weld aluminium, that I can show you guys how to set that up. I’ve used it a few times, but the person that has actual production experience would be someone named atlas, and he does private lessons.

I can also show you guys how to use the TIG.

I’d recommend learning both: MIG for general welds and speed, and TIG when the metal gets thin and requires precision.

There is also metal shop meeting this Saturday, and you can probably get a breadth of diversed opinions there.

3 Likes

His Talk handle is @FriendlyTitan.

@nugen thank you so much! We are definitely planning n on going to the meeting Saturday. I think when we were doing the MIG welding class with David, he showed us the push pull gun, but he wasn’t sure if it was working or not. Trying to get in to as many classes for as many tools as possible…I’m sure we will end up using most of what is available at DMS! :crazy_face: It’s going to be challenging.
Will get in touch with atlas, thank you for the helpful information!

1 Like

Thank you @dryad2b! :smiley: