Aluminum name plate - Anodizing/etching/screen printing directly?

To all the print experts (and/or anyone that has an opinion). I intend to fabricate a replacement aluminum nameplate for my Wells-Index Mill. The dimensions are 20"x4" overall. .035 thick. I would like to achieve as close to the original as possible. I’ll do all the Illustrator work to get the art work correctly designed and sized. and I’ll cut the sheet to the correct shape with a bandsaw after it’s complete. Upon close inspection, it appears the nameplate has been etched, painted and the highs have been sanded to remove the paint but one of you may be able to better determine the process they used. And for the record, I’m not trying to reproduce an exact clone of the finish (IE, the horizontal sanded finish) although It would be a nice-to-have.

Initially I was thinking screen printing directly on an aluminum sheet which I’m definitely ok with as I’ve always wanted to learn screen printing.

Then I found this thread on Talk describing black anodized aluminum where @CaryF300 mentions that “Black anodized aluminum raster engraves to silver.” My assumption is that I could use the laser cutter raster option to etch the plate to reveal the silver?? This seems like it may be the best route and possibly the quickest as well. Does that sound plausible to you all??

My existing:

Here’s a pretty good picture of what one in good shape looks like on the machine

1 Like

I would powder-coat it and then laser off the powder coating to get down to the shiny. The powder coat should hold up well for the bending operation and generally be a strong coating for around the shop.

2 Likes

Little involved… and not sure you can do everything at the Space [spraypaint, etching, …]

2 Likes

What are the approximate dimensions of the flat pattern piece, including the thickness?

Duh. I just reread your post.

If you can live with a different thickness, I suggest that you dye sublimate it. You can get specially (clear) coated aluminum from JDS Industries to dye sublimate. Then you just do the artwork and dye sub it onto your panel. Our heat press is allegedly 16 x 20".

Perhaps @CaryF300 can weigh in on this.

Here’s an example I made recently.

2 Likes

Thanks for the link… I’ve watched this very video many times and have wanted to try it out. It would certainly be plausibe to do however laser printing and transferring the design to a 20 inch long piece may be a bit of a challenge but even if I broke it into 2 transfers, powder coatingp and then sanding off the top of the lettering would be a challenge as big as my piece is. At least it seems like it might be challenging.

Your original question was if raster lasering an anodized aluminum plate would work to give you a duplicate of what you have now (less the etching dimension). Certainly seems so: https://youtu.be/KYvzDNEyVnk But you might have to play with the setting to get the right speed and power, also apply a clear protective coat to finish. malcolmputer’s suggestion is also a good one. Black Powder coat a piece of aluminum to prepare. Once you’ve lasered the design, again, apply a clear protective coating, you’re done. One issue, it’s a 20" piece and I don’t think we currently have a working powder coat oven to accommodate a piece that size. Botton line is I think you are on the right path and you could continue to the etching route, but I think you’d rather skip that. Can’t blame you… I’ve etch many a circuit board and always found etching the most annoying part of any circuit. Good luck!

1 Like

If you want to go the dye sub route, then I can print your design for you. I have a 24" wide dye sub printer at home.

2 Likes