Alternate Freelancing Contact List suggestions (wiki, etc...)

Maybe a wiki page, using a template so it doesn’t become out of control, could be created. This would be a central look-up place and could have categories similar to the Events calendar. Limit it to members only to post/edit their info.

3 Likes

Like this?
https://dallasmakerspace.org/wiki/Members#Member_List

2 Likes

Similar concept, expect it would be for people selling their skills. They could be in both places. If more members do profiles, the persons listing skills could be lost in the noise.

1 Like

@Photomancer and @Brian
My fear is that it will be as well maintained as our members list wiki. I’m glad we’re discussing this.

On another note:
If we want to continue talking about this I suggest you guys make a linked discussion in a separate thread. This talk about an extra-list already accounts for more than 20% of all responses to this thread.(Mine excluded)

1 Like

The difference here is member has a true interest in maintaining it if they want work. The general member’s list not so much.

Legit concern… :wink:

A wiki version would have interest in being maintained at this moment maybe… Just like the old members list used to be pretty well maintained (for a few months…)

I’ve moved several posts related to whether to have another location - including the post I’m quoting - to this thread for continued discussion about alternate locations to try to maintain a member freelance directory.

No harm in trying! Here y’all go: https://dallasmakerspace.org/wiki/Member_Freelance_Directory :smiley:

1 Like

Should there be some sort of auto expiration with a required refresh to keep an entry listed? Otherwise members that leave dms might not remember to delete their entry. I believe expired entries would need to be manually deleted by some maintainer.

1 Like

I am not sure if that’s possible. I have never looked into it. You are welcome to research it; and, if it’s possible to add the function.

That’s pretty much what happened to the old Member list. There was a time that we tried to keep it up to date - back when we only had about 150-200 members… Once we started growing really quickly, it became too difficult for just a couple of us to try to maintain, so now it’s in “aaaawwww memories” mode. :wink:

“Some maintainer” would be anyone who wanted to take the time to update the wiki. All active members have access to edit all of the wiki pages except for a few “protected” pages (like the rules and bylaws, etc…)

1 Like

@cache_22, @DanielHooper, @semaphore1999, @Julie-Harris, @Raymond, @Karl_Lockhart, @creaturecarousel, @Raleigh, @JeremyDoss ~ I’m mentioning y’all on this thread, in-case you are interested in adding your name to the newly created wiki page, as discussed above - in addition to the original thread that you have already provided your information (and/or requests) on. That being said, I personally have no interest in maintaining that page, so if you do add your information to it, please keep it up to date. Thanks! :smiley:

1 Like

This is great! Can’t wait to see what people put up on the page.

1 Like