Airsoft skills translates to real steel skills?

Looks like it does.

GT Academy also has shown that the top dogs in driving games can become competitive in real world racing.

2 Likes

I did see a video once where an instructor said that folks who do Olympic pistol shooting can pick up firearms relatively quickly since they’ve got the muscle memory and have an easier time with the flinch that often accompanies learning to shoot.

1 Like

At the least, airsoft will translate to moving around and shooting, unlike slow fire bullseye shooting at the typical gun range.

Bad habits with grip and trigger likely occur on most grips and triggers. Likewise, while a great fitting grip can help, good grip and trigger discipline can largely transfer from one trigger to another. I think there’s a lot of benifit to training with a long sight radius 22, in that you do get enhanced visual feedback of what you see happening with the sights as you are squeezing the trigger, without any significant reason to react to what happens when it goes off. I’m also tempted to add a glock 17 L for a similar reason, but with a more similar trigger group and recoil.

So as long as the airsoft trigger feel isn’t completely bogus, I would think any good trigger discipline developed there would transfer.

1 Like

Shooting skills definitely translate to photography if you’re shooting high magnification, like wildlife or macro. “One deep breath in and out, inhale, half-exhale, hold it, shoot” works for shooting a Blue Jay with a 500mm lens or for shooting a commie coming over the hill (can you guess where I got the bulk of my marksmanship training :-D).

1 Like

The answer is kinda sorta.

For electric airsoft guns, not as much.

For gas powered air guns, definitely. I have quite a few Japanese friends I made when I studied over there that train for real firearms competitions with high end gas powered pistols. They shoot reduced size targets in competitions at schools with tarps hung “downrange”. They’re really fast shooters.

Like all shooting competitions, it improves your gun manipulation. Their steel challenge shooting guys are very fast and give the American guys a run for their money at world shoot.

1 Like