• Nick McCarthy
  • Chesley Kranick
  • Nick McCarthy
  • Nick Sainz
  • Randy Novak

Classes / Desire to increase activity:

• Harold wants to teach an RC Airplane lasercutting class
  • Nick can teach an introduction quadcopter building class
  • Harold/Nick Idea for a intro to flying class that starts with RealFlight and then buddyboxing
  • David has (in the past) led a RC car building class
  • Chesley wants to have an intro rocketry class
  • Bill Gee will have some rocket building sessions

Parts Bin

• Harold recommends having a parts bin to donate/grab RC parts

RealFlight/Simulator setup

• Mike Darnell will loan a RealFlight Kiosk. Harold can pickup with his truck.
  • Mike’s Hobby Shop - Nick will call - 972-242-4930

Need to allocate funds for:

4 Likes

Thanks for the notes 'n all! It’s exciting to see talk about a variety of classes and other activities in the works!!! :smile:

I was asking in the Google Hangout about when the meeting is going to be to vote on the committee chair(s); and, @David_Walker let me know it’s going to be on the 14th from 9PM - 10PM… Kewl kewl! :+1: :+1: :+1:

2 Likes

I also put out the idea of keeping a small stock of dollar tree foam board on hand. We can buy it by the case (25 sheets for $25), and just keep a couple cases on hand. We would charge $1 per sheet for anyone who wants to use it, and simply order more when needed. Allen showed some interest in stocking it as well.

1 Like

What is the thickness that you guys use? and
What is the dimensions of the sheets you buy at Dollar Tree?

It’s about 4.5mm (.18") thick, and the sheets are 20x30" for the white stuff. Oddly the black paper version is slightly thinner, maybe about 4mm. I haven’t checked with a caliper yet for an exact measurement.

Just FYI if you guys need some larger pieces of Fome-Cor… I have bought many things from Regal Plastics, especially Coroplast and Plexiglass/Acrylics. They are located off Royal Lane and 635, not too far from DMS.

Their price for 4.5mm on a 48" x 96" sheet is $17.50 for White and $21.50 for Black.

Regal Plastics - $0.54 per sqft White
Dollar Tree - $0.24 per sqft

Their price is double, but if you happen to need something longer than 30" then this gives you up to an 8 foot length. They also carry larger thicknesses up to 10mm that can be used for sturdier firewalls and fuselage braces etc.

http://www.regal-plastics.com/fome-cor.html

1 Like

Awesome, good to know. I know a few of @hasbridge’s planes are only limited by the size of Dollar Tree foam board. If he knows larger sheets are available, he’ll have a 1:1 scale foam RC 747 soon…

1 Like

Bigger planes fly better :sunglasses:

1 Like

Hi, I’m just wondering if there are any individuals interested in getting the aerospace committee started again?

It’s been semi-active recently. Look at the Aero tag on here, particularly the DTFB build we’ve started up. Although I’ve missed the last couple of weeks for a few reasons, it’s conveniently coincided with everyone else missing for entirely different reasons, so we’re still kind of in business.

Unless something changes, I plan on being up there this Saturday and breaking out the airplane, maybe mess with the Pixhawk some. I need to put some time into that.

I can attempt to be up this Saturday also, been slacking on my own builds :frowning:

1 Like

i will be there Saturday morning for CAD class from 10am-12pm but i have an appointment a 1pm so i cant meet up. However, my friend shes very interested and working on her masters in mechanical engineering and will soon get her pilots license. Should i tell her to meet up with you?

We ran out of locking doors to erect so it’s not like we could stop her anyway.

Of course she can come. :slight_smile: She is a member right? Oh whatever, I’m not going to make a big deal out of it.

She said she won’t be available until around 4:30pm. Not sure if you’ll be there but how about reviving the group meetings?

Our recenter habit has been to meet at 10 or so. I don’t know how late I’ll be there come Saturday.

10am correct? I’ll inform her you all meet every Saturday at 10am.