Advice on replacing drill chuck

A few months ago I ordered a keyless drill chuck to replace the original keyed chuck on a Wen 1/2" bench drill press. I got the keyless chuck part number from a previous client’s machinist, as I liked the keyless chuck they had on their drill. I thought that my drill press was a clone of their’s, hence mine could use the same chuck.

I just got around to starting to install my new chuck today, and I have more questions than answers.

My drill press is a Wen 4214. According to the Wen product page, the chuck shaft is a JT3. However, the chuck I have from MSC Direct is a JT33. Will the JT33 chuck fit on the JT3 arbor? I’m guessing not.

When I removed the chuck + arbor from the drill press it came out in one piece. How can I separate the arbor from the chuck so I can install a keyless chuck?

Or is it better to purchase a keyless chuck with integral arbor? In this case, how can I determine the arbor shaft description on the drill press end, as this isn’t given by the drill press vendor?

Those are two different sizes. There may be a commercially available sleeve adapter else you’ll have to ream it out.

Here is what the Machinery handbook has to say about the different tapers. I’m sure you can replace it with the right adapter.

I’m fairly certain that I can return the JT33 chuck to MSC and get a JT3. If that’s the case, then what’s the easiest way to separate the arbor from the original chuck?

The short version, as far as I know, is that you need the right tool (most of those I have any knowledge whatsoever of have a recess where you place “chuck wedges”, but this one does not appear to, although that little recess might do it for the right tool). Here’s a video of a guy abusing what he has to git’rdone.

Based on this video of the 4208, the chuck has a through-hole you could use with a drift to pop the arbor off the chuck. I don’t know for sure the 4214 has the same chuck, though…

Separating the chuck from the arbor is often considered more of a pain than buying a new arbor. Ive see video where the specialty wedges they bought weren’t hard enough to extract the arbor without destroying the wedges, and they barely got the chuck off first. I would really recommend simply buying an arbor with whatever taper the new chuck is, to whatever taper the spindle is. Then clean everything and gently check for fit before assembly.

2 Likes