Advanced Lathe: Pen Turning

A pen turning class has been posted to the calendar: https://dallasmakerspace.org/calendar/
for Monday, February 22 at 7:00pm. This class will be limited to 4 people, due to the amount of equipment available. This class is hands on and costs $15. This fee is used to cover the provided materials for the course (Slimline pen kit). You will leave this class with your very own custom, handmade pen. The pen uses standard refills.

Please email [email protected] with any questions. An Eventbrite ticket is required to attend this class.

@John_Marlow Given your other post, wanted to make sure you saw this.

1 Like

Thanks for alerting me.

1 Like

One spot left!

1 Like

Mathew,
Are the DMS pen mandrels hidden somewhere? I went to use a pen mandrel on a pen I am working on, but a) could only find one mandrel, b) it was marked as “might be bent” and c) was bent when I checked it on the lathe?

Kinda sucked that I couldn’t work on my wife’s birthday present for a “for the want of a nail” kinda problem…

1 Like

I have no idea where they are. @Tapper @munawar @cghaly @jlcourtman do you guys know?

Let me know where you put the bent one.

There is a plastic box of pen lathe parts in the toolbox next to the drill press. The mandrel is/was in there. @Kentamanos and I looked pretty diligently for others… :frowning:

Yes, the mandrels for classes are set aside. We may put them out, but want to be sure we have undamaged mandrels for the classes coming up.

Hey - my experience is that the pen turning pieces kinda float around in
their plastic bin - generally the first place I look is in the mdf cabinet
drawers that is over by the drill press. I have also found the box in the
roll around toolbox that has the midi lathe on it. A perennial problem
with a shared space, especially for small parts…

1 Like

Last I saw one in the drill press drawer. Planning on coming by tonight
sometime to locate all oarts and pieces for the prn class on Monday.
Thanks

Sounds like the mandrels were set aside in advance of the class, which is good, I guess, but it meant that none were available outside of the class :frowning:

1 Like

Hi. Actually, those mandrels were purchased for the class. I am sure there is at least one around, because there was another member there Saturday night making pens. I didn’t think of asking her where she found the mandrel or brought her personal one. Anyway, sorry for the inconvenience and I am sure there will be mandrel available after tonight.

I have a Jet lathe at home with a suitable pen mandrel so it’s all good, just a missed opportunity to do work while at the 'Space.

Just got checked out on the lathe and was interested in turning pens. A) I’d like to express interest in having a class added to schedule B) Based on @Tapper 's comment, do we need to purchase our own personal mandrels to turn pens at the space?

I recently took a lathe turning class under Manny. We had 5 or 6 mandrels as I recall that belonged to the space. They were NIB when we opened them. The cost was still printed on the package: $21.95. They should be around somewhere.

There’s a brand new mandrel in the drill press cabinet. Please keep all the parts together in the plastic box.

Great, will be taking a look this weekend.

We also have a new pen press. It needs to be board mounted before we put it out. I’ll try to do that this weekend.

When will there be another pen turning class?

Is there a live and dead 60° center there? So much better then mandrels.