Adjust cruise control minimum to 20 MPH

Is anyone familiar with a way to reduce the minimum cruise control speed to 20 MPH on a 2016 Subaru Outback and Legacy?

To put it shortly: you can’t does.

If the car were much older, you could probably trick the cruise control into reading twice as fast on demand, but in a modern car, you’ll just piss off the computer if you try. Best to just pay attention to your speed at 20mph.

I hit three school zones on the way to work…it would be nice to just hit the button while using adaptive cruise control on the way to work every day :wink:

2 Likes

Some cars have those speed warning buzzer/bellthingys. I suspect yours does not, or you’d say you were using it…
Soooo…geta garmin?
http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/69-audio-video-security-navigation/342841-audio-speed-warning.html

@jast Nah…I just want my car to do what I want it to do in the way I want it to do it.

1 Like

Well…
Apple’s working on one that does what IT wants BEFORE you even know you want it to.
So is google.
Tesla claims to already have one, but they lie.
I’m sure Microsoft is somewhere in the mix…
So sit tight. I’m sure what you want is just around the corner. :+1:

1 Like

The entire point of school zones is pay attention. And we all know the moment that cruise button (especially with adaptive) gets hit, your attention to the road drops significantly. Nobody needs their kid getting hit because feathering a throttle for 30 seconds is a marginal inconvenience.

I find the need to stare at the speedometer so Plano PD doesn’t pull me over for 22 in a 20 quite distracting. Set it, hover the brake pedal, dodge children.

2 Likes

School zones, with their adjusted speed limits, confuse me. They serve no discernible purpose, yet we are insistent on having them…

Kids, as they say, are dumb as rocks. Though, I’ll be honest, I’ve only ever seen high school kids running across busy streets. Maybe younger kids are just too stupid to take advantage of the school zone.

The real solution here is to stay out of Plano.

@suchsojasco I’ll call BS on that reasoning. I have to be paying attention to the school zone markers to know when to adjust the speed, and also be paying attention to increase the speed when I’m through. There’s no difference in me using my thumb to adjust speed as opposed to my foot. Neither one of them requires I take my attention away from my surroundings. And then just because I have an opportunity to use a convenience doesn’t mean that I then turn into a lazy sloth who doesn’t pay attention to the world around them.

@jast Please don’t drive through my neighborhood :wink: it’s in a school zone.

@MathewBusby I concur.

1 Like

All PDs hawk school zones.

Yeah but Plano makes all its money enforcing BS speed limits.

That revenue isn’t gonna ranger itself.

At least it’s a known thing - and unlike Flo Mo five oh busting commuters for going 44 in a 40 down a major artery through distribution center-ville where there are zero pedestrians and so very little entering and exiting the road - does some sort of duty to public safety.

Or not…:blankspace:

So, instead of setting the speed at 20 on the CC and then paying more attention out the window we are going to divide our attention by watching the speedo instead of what is going on outside the car, where the kids are?

I have never bought the reasoning that allowing me to pay more attention to things external of the vehicle make it harder to pay attention to things external of the vehicle. It is almost like saying we shouldn’t have windows because it distracts us from seeing things outside of the car.

Instead of trying soooo hard to stay at exactly 20, put your car in the gear where it coasts at 18-21mph- they all seem to have one- and keep your eyes peeled.

I love my cruise control, but if you’re so helpless that maintaining a low speed within a reasonable degree of accuracy requires you to watch a gauge with so much intent that you can’t pay attention to the outside of the car, you don’t need cruise control, you need a bus pass.

Not sure if this has been adjusted upward or not, but the first $85 of any moving ticket goes to the state. And in fact, still have to send in the $85 even if they were to settle on a lower moving violation fine. So by the time you factor in court costs and officer overtime if you ask for trial, the cities usually don’t make much on average. I see enough outrage in social media about people blowing through school zones that I’m not surprised some cities enforce aggressively.

1 Like

The ease of use in the various online ticket payment applications suggests to me that the average moving violation doesn’t see any time in court, otherwise licensing those systems wouldn’t be financially feasible.

And considering my last ticket (85 in a 70) set me back $200, if the state gets the first $85, Grand Prairie got $115 to split with the payment processing developer. Multiply that by the roughly 50,000 traffic citations GP issues a year, and you’re looking at a not-insignificant amount of revenue being generated.

I’m not saying traffic enforcement is nothing but a racket, but if it were entirely about safety, the enforcement tactics would probably involve more active measures, and less sitting on a shoulder with a radar gun at 11:35 on a Wednesday night.

At least we don’t have speed cameras.

2 Likes