Acrylic Scraps for Hospital Donations

Hi All! I am working to create S shape acrylic face mask clips to donate to local hospitals. This alleviates the pressure on the back of the ears that can cause headaches. I was using wood because that is what I have on hand but acrylic would be safer and easier to clean. Would anyone be interested in donating scraps to me for this? Pieces can be small! I am just hoping to donate several to the hospitals, testing centers & oncology offices to do my part in caring for those on the front lines!

(I have a laser at home)

Thanks everyone!

5 Likes

I’m just curious, wouldn’t something like a paperclip achieve the same results? Or these very similar s clips from home depot or lowes?
s_clip

1 Like

Allied Plastics usually has a large amount of scraps. Call Jeannie and let her know your project.

1 Like

I would think that it’s probably pretty heavy and would drag the mask down. Maybe if it’s aluminum?

1 Like

Hardwood Lumber would probably give you a couple of sheets of Birch Ply if you tell them about your project.

Something light and metal would be ideal, because it’s easier to sanitize. Only downside is likely to be very limited quantities because the only thing commercial I can think of is ultra-light hiking/camping gear.

Plastic is good, even if it can’t be sanitized easily, if it can be produced in high quantities. A slight tweak to the design to allow for tesselation would make more efficient use of the plastic too.

Edit: Backup idea, a zip tie might work well.

1 Like

Mallory,

If you happen to be in the Flower Mound/Lewisville area - I have acrylic you can have. It is fairly thin at about 1/10 of an inch thick, .

1 Like

Paper clips have been most widely used but are too small so they are doubling up and they are a nuisance & wrong fit. I am just trying to help to give them one less thing to worry about and the acrylic is reusable and easy to sanitize.

1 Like

I am in Lewisville! I didn’t receive an email notifying that anyone responded so I just logged on and was surprised to see these. I can come by anytime. I have requests for over 2000 clips right now from over a dozen area hospitals, so everything helps!

Great,

How does 4pm to 5pm sound?

My wife and I will be up at the Gallery doing some work in the back. Please call the store number 972.539.5499 in the event we do not hear you knock.

Sounds perfect! Sorry if I missed it but where are you located exactly?

Premier Gallery
1681 Justin Road
Flower Mound 75028

Next to O’Reilly auto parts.
Across the street and a few hundred feet east of the Painted Tree.

I’ll leave the front door unlocked please shout ‘hello’ when you arrive.

If Tom doesn’t cover your need, I have scraps of 0.22" material left from the aerosol box build.
PM for a phone number.

If we’re cutting any of these at DMS, we have some sheets of plexiglass in Printmaking that could be repurposed, and Astrud and I have a decent stash in our storage unit that could also be used.

Pretty sure it’s similar to what TLAR us offering, as it’s all offcuts from my picture framing job. 1/8" thick, in various sizes and shapes

1 Like

Thanks everyone! I am going to work through everything I have on hand right now & will get back to you with any additional needs!

Tom- per our convo my business info is below!
Thanks again!!

2 Likes

Mallory,

It was nice meeting you!
If need more - I found more this afternoon during some much needed cleanup/clean out.

Thanks for doing what you do!