A Wood Shop project class to build a box with sliding lid to learn basic joints and tool usage

so pissed i missed that class. hopefully I get signed up for Matts live edge badass table class where he brings all the wood.

The boxes are really nice!!! … buy Dayem that table they are sitting on is WHAT I want to build!! Did you make that too?

1 Like

It’s a slab of cocobolo, I made a coffee table with it for a furniture exhibition I was in years ago. I bought several slabs of various sizes but so far this is the only one I have used. The coffee table was to big for my apartment here so I pulled the top and am using it as a desk. I need to build a new base for it.

3 Likes

Another couple boxes made by students in the class

3 Likes

Cool.
When is the next class?

2 Likes

I want to take this class so bad :cry:

I am traveling a lot over the next month so it will not happen for a bit. I did see that some of the students who took the first class were using the jig to make more boxes last night! We will do this again since it was successful and there seems to be interest.

My UADD has me wanting to do something on veneering too. I ordered in new veneer glue a few weeks ago to make a box out of veneered plywood. Dan brought in some white washed figured sapele veneer to work with.

2 Likes

I have a a lot of other veneers if we want to teach a class on veneering. The boxes look awesome, too.

Finally got around to cutting off the splines, sanding and finishing. The main box is Paela (http://www.wood-database.com/chakte-viga/) with Cocobolo top and bottom. Matt was an excellent teacher and hope to take more classes from him in the future.

3 Likes