A suggestion ( and some more characters for no reason )

Now that the camera is once again pointed at the 3D printers, it occurs to me that a very useful thing to have would be an indicator light of some kind on each printer giving some clue as to whether the printer is in use or not.

I think there is a plugin for Octoprint that can operate LED strips. That might work. Possibly with a manual switch to turn on a “broken” indicator. ( I think it would have to be manual. Or maybe an input into the same plugin could be used to signal something other than “running”, “idle”, or “out of filament”.

I haven’t got either of my printers up to the point of actually needing OctoPrint yet, so I haven’t explored the lighting options myself. I’d bet someone in thge group has though.

All the printers have build platform webcams that can be viewed via octoprint… Is this not enough visual indicator of use, or am I missing the direction of your question?

I don’t believe those cams are accessible from outside of DMS.

I took a look at the new camera feed ( of the room ) and could not tell which printers were printing. That’s what prompted the idea.

the webcams on the printers are viewable from home via the jump server

I was thinking in terms of one image showing all of them at a glance. Not a process of figuring out if I can get to the jump server, then logging in ( challenging on my phone ), and then remembering all the IP addresses of the Octoprint servers.

But if the suggesting has no value, so be it.

once upon a time, the octoprint cameras were viewable from offsite using this URL
https://physical.dallasmakerspace.org:3333/
They only sorta worked sometimes and have had trouble over the time since setup, but maybe the fragments could be reconnected?

@Team_Infrastructure would probably have to get that done; I’m willing to help, though questionably able at best…