A Feather board?

Do we happen to have a feather board? Preferably a bandsaw feather board - but not mandatory because my piece is only an inch tall.

We have several types - the most common floating around are the Magswitch Universals. There used to be a tall one for the Laguna to help on resawing, but I haven’t seen it lately [nor looked really hard].

1" tall - isn’t that a little large for the scale you work on :grin:

4 Likes

Where would candidate locations be?

I have something fragile I want to saw and it’s not very large. I have less dexterity and control with a push stick, so not only will the feather board give me stability, it should help keep my fingers out of the blade. :grin:

They are usually on various machines [usually near the jointer or table saws]. If they get put back up, there is a drawer under the compound miter saw marked “feather boards”.

The Magswitches are yellow [some are missing a couple of feathers - but still work fine].

For those wondering how to use the feather board:

• Turning the handles to the “on” positions engage the magnets and firmly holds the feather board to the metal table tops.
  • The orientation of the feather board is determined by the direction the wood is moving [the wood would move from right to left with the orientation shown in the picture].
  • The feather board should be positioned to apply side pressure to the board pushing it against the fence - NEVER have it apply pressure against a blade [table saw or bandsaw].
  • Are always a great idea to use, it helps keep things firmly in place while keeping your hands in the clear [I commonly use them on the jointer, table saws, and resawing on the bandsaw]
3 Likes

Must be for barn or maybe an ark.

1 Like

Actually, I built a 3-sided sacrificial box (with cradle) for stability around the object I intend to cut. Fingers crossed, after cutting in half and hollowing, it will be the basis for a bowl back mandolin.

@coloneldan … One of your donated maple pen blanks became the “staves” in the segmented blank.

3 Likes

Looks gorgeous as always.

2 Likes