'87 ford ranger general diagnostic and repair

I will be at the Space on Monday doing maintenance to the automotive area and hopefully some maintenance of my own…if you come by I’ll help you as well (not do the work for you).
This of course means if there is room inside the building.

2 Likes

Excellent,
I’ll try to get out of work a little early this Monday.
The next Monday I can be there all day!
I’m worried my oil pressure gauge shows less pressure than it used to…
Having someone with experience to give me advice is crucial to me, I’m not afraid of work as long as it is the right work. THANKS!

2 Likes

okay, so i’m pleased that my compression test showed good compression in my 4 cyl. excellent.
those of you who saw my truck yesterday surely noticed the beautiful nest of wires in the engine bay. i know it look bad, and it’s something i’ve been working on/living with for a long time…
ANYWAYS, i have renewed my search for replacement engine wiring harness and there are 2 possible candidates local enough to check out further during business hours. closest in grande prairie lists an 87 but not list the motor size and then theres an 88 in ft worth that should be my 2.3l if they have their wires intact. guess i got some phone calls to get more info, laters

1 Like

Alright, may have a line on the wiring harness. Called eagle, who said call a+a, who said call Mr ed, who said call apple… who has a 91 that might work! So i guess I’m going there maybe Saturday.

2 Likes

Well I just got home from that salvage yard. I don’t know why I always go at the hottest time/days and by myself.

I got the harness out of a 91… has some differences from mine, but the condition is decent for its age. Going to have to investigate it more and clean it up check where it’ll need to be altered etc.
Main differences are:
MAF sensor, mines got MAP
A/C, mine doesnt have it, don’t need it
TFI setup (8 plug) , mines got distributor with 4 plugs
Fuse box under hood, mine has more fusable links
… I took a video once I got it out going over these differences for later, I also have a video of my harness that I’ll make links for later probably.

1 Like

You’re going to need to trace the pins to the ECU and copy your OE harness, it will likely be different because of the differences(MAF/MAP, TFI/Distributor,Fusebox). It’s a good number of hours but you can end up with a decent harness after.

Yep, that’s why I seriously considered building one from scratch. This should work better tho. I need to refresh my research a bit and find some time. Really regretting not recording the whole process of removing this harness, but I only have 2 hands and it took long enough as it is.

1 Like

Nathan,

What is the build date of your truck ? (month and year of production)

I ask because I know of a wrecking yard in Fort Worth that has the same body style truck and I am headed out that way this weekend. I’ll take a look at it for you.

1 Like

If it helps i was putting together a class lastnight to go over front disc brakes and rear drum brakes.

1 Like

We do not teach brake classes for liability reasons.

Just playing devils advocate here but wouldn’t pretty much anything done to an automobile be considered a liability? Proper instruction on how to do repairs helps remove the threat of something going wrong. If it’s the liability of someone doing their brakes and not doing them right and going for a drive and wrecking then this helps teach them the right way so that doesn’t happen. Changing a tire is a liability. Even Changing your oil is. Not trying to be a smart ass here. But most of makerspace is a liability. But this is why we have classes. Most of the machines in the wood shop can removed body parts. That’s why we teach safety. Can i please get a list of all things we can not teach across all committees? I was working on a lot of different classes to teach that came to automotive maintenance and standard repair. I have worked on everything from 1920s 1930s cable brakes to electric controlled brakes. Between Tom and I there is enough knowledge to rebuild a car from the ground up. Just food for thought.

1 Like

Again, DMS does not allow Brake Classes. Play devil’s advocate to your hearts content. Do not teach a brake class.

Then can i please get a list of all things we can not teach?

Well class or not, I’m going to do my brakes sooner or later. If someone with experience would like to supervise I wouldn’t mind. I ve watched a few videos a couple hundred times.

This argument might warrant its own thread.

That is fine, perfectly acceptable, and common. But is not DMS conducting a class. That’s one-on-one mentoring.

Might want to get Tom to update the automotive wiki, as currently there is no rule against teaching classes on automotive brakes.

https://dallasmakerspace.org/wiki/Automotive_Committee

1 Like

02/87
Take a picture of anything you think I might could use!
I’ll keep my eye on the message board if you need any more info from me!
Thanks!

When did this rule happen? I have not seen any board action nor committee rule that says this. Last I knew all auto classes were back open for teaching after we changed insurance several years back. The only requirement was that we have a proper syllabus for calendar submission and if hands on was done then the work had to be done by the car owner. Aka I could demonstrate on my own car to teach it or someone could demonstrate on their own car to teach it but I could not use someone elses car to do it as the instructor.

@TLAR and @Kriskat30 can you chime in and set the record straight for future information? Or @Photomancer can you provide a link to that information in board meeting notes or rules on the Wiki?

2 Likes

Any rule not listed on the machine, in the committee area, or not on the Wiki cannot reasonably be followed.

2 Likes

Yeah, that was my thought and a quick search of the wiki to include board meeting minutes yielded no such rule.