3D scanning a car - Class

Tonight at 7 I’m teaching my 3D scanning class in the automotive area, not in digital media. We’re going to scan the back end of a car to ultimately create a full size mold for fiberglass duplication. This is a unique opportunity to learn how to scan large objects and stitch it all together. I will try and make sure that everyone who signs up, gets hand on training.

9 Likes

I’m not going to actually participate, but I think this is a way cool idea!

3 Likes

Class went great. We didn’t do the whole back end but did as much as we could for proof of concept. Everyone got a chance to use the scanner. For an individual doing this alone it would go much faster. Each scan was about 30 seconds. The scan you see was about 4-5 scans stitched together.

The car owner now has the skill set to do a complete scan of the back. Later we’ll help him cut it out of foam in layers on the MultiCam, glue it together and make 1:1 model of the back. From there he can make as many as he wants from fiberglass.

What we really need to supercharge the scanner is the software upgrade. This would streamline workflow and allow seamless exporting of T-splines, cross section isolation and contour modeling/modifying.

The options are endless. You can 3D print, MultiCam, Vacuum form or CNC any object on the HAAS with the produced scan.

My reward? I got to take the Corvette for a spin!

The only stupid questions are the ones I already answered while you were on your Internet Machine (phone).

5 Likes

Could you use this same technique to build a mold for carbon fiber?

Easy as eating Blueberry pie with ice cream and whipped cream on top

Or warm apple pie with vanilla ice cream on top either!!!

I’ve got a fiberglass cafe racer seat that I’d like to create a mold for carbon fiber fabrication.

Take the class. You’ll be a pro.

1 Like

Thanks, I will. I’ll keep an eye out for it.

1 Like

Just FYI, instead of baby powder or talc, you might try dulling spray. I used plenty of it in my TV production days.

https://www.amazon.com/Krylon-K1310-11-Ounce-Dulling-Spray/dp/B00009R8O6

7 Likes

That’s a good idea. Didn’t know about that. In class we discovered that blue painters tape was a cheap effective way to cover chrome and the shiny surface of the car before scanning. It gave a really nice clean scan. It takes a lot if tape for a bumper but it was way better than baby powder. So I learned something from one of the students. It was his idea.
This was the first time I scanned a large object like this. We were all pleasantly impressed by the results.

1 Like

What is weird is you will now start to see items in TV/Films that should be shiny but oddly not like you expect.

1 Like

The class was great. Thanks to @fedakkee for putting it on.

my god will you teach this again?

1 Like

Hah, I was actually there that day and wonder why there is a very nice Corvette in the Automotive Area. I should have investigated and asked more questions. I’ll be interested in attending a 3D Scanning class if it comes up again.

2 Likes

This class was AWESOME! I spent about 8 months fighting with that scanner and software trying to use computer models to speed up my car building project. I finally gave up and went back to building by hand. But, after this class, I’m ready to go back to computer modeling everything. That will save untold hours of sanding manually modified parts. Thanks for teaching this class Keith!

1 Like

PLEASE offer this one again!

How very cool!! I’d love to bring up my Ferrari 250 GTO and get it 3D scanned. Just kidding I don’t have one but I’d love to take the class if it’s offered again.

1 Like

I could promise an S2000. There’s a good chance that I might be able to arrange a Ferrari 1979 308 GTb Not quite the same panache as a 250 GTO though.

3 Likes

I would also love to take this and the other suggested classes.

I’m teaching this again on Saturday in the digital media room. If there is a desire to do large objects like the car I’ll have a special class.

3 Likes