3D Scanner project question

I have a project and would like to know if tools in the 3D printing area can assist with the project. I have a plastic part that I need to scan the original then redesign the print to resolve issues. The part will be in non structural area of vehicle dash. Is there a 3D scanner available to do the scanning? And what would be best plastic material to print the end version in?

Thank you,
Jerry

1 Like

We have a Revopoint Pop scanner. The Wiki tools list links to an instructional video.

You can choose between resin or filament. In general resin gives you a better surface finish but unless you buy special resin, most resins are fairly brittle and become more brittle with age. The resin we stock is grey.

A filament printer will probably give you better durability but at the expense of surface finish. Not that you can’t achieve a good surface finish - just be prepared for some hand work. All but one of our filament printers prints ABS (or NinjaFlex, which seems inappropriate for your use). If you’re using one of our filament printers, rather than ask what’s the best material, you should just ask yourself if there’s any good reason to not use ABS.

I have been researching this scanner on makerspace… I know it has been a while since this post, was looking for recent documentation on this scanner/ also just wondering where it is located physically in the facility.
I’m finding the link to the instructional video is set to private? Maybe can send a note to someone involved in posting/ who owns it?

Isn’t ABS the one you can do Acetone vapor smoothing with as well?

1 Like

Yes, it is.

Apparently we’re experiencing some kind of golden era of cheap-ish 3d scanning. I wasn’t impressed with the Revopoint Pop. I borrowed somebody else’s for a couple of days, tried the software out and never used it after that. This thing seems like a huge improvement.
I saw a picture of a bird house somebody 3d printed and it perfectly fit some random section of their house’s brick wall. At least two random people on the Internet have managed to get useful results from this product, therefore 3D fab needs to buy one ASAP :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like