3D Printing Ventillator Valves

If you have a 3D Printer at home, this might be a worthwhile project.

2 Likes

I can’t read apparently.

1 Like

True. That’s why I suggested 3D printing at home for those with equipment and supplies.

1 Like

From a pratical standpoint, I didn’t see any stl files in the article, and printing with nylon can be challenging. Also doesn’t state the type of vent the valves are for. Interesting yes, useful perhaps not so much.

2 Likes

Apparently this is a thing…

The comments are a good read (some of them get off into the weeds, but soldier through to the good ones…)

and “the project” appears to have a site:
https://www.projectopenair.org

If my quicky perusal is accurate, there are no STL because that (an “open source design”) is what is needed (although exactly how life-saving this may or may not be appears to still be up in the air, it certainly ain’t going to hurt anything if you’re spending your “extra” time working on something that might be helpful, right?)

EDIT: I AM confused that it appears the Italian folks have done the necessary 3d printing, but STL still isn’t “out there”… ? :confused:

3 Likes

my reading is that they are printing a valve for a particular type of vent (ventilator) not the vent itself. The valve is probably a disposable piece and they are having a shortage of them. Thus the valve would be specific to the type of vent they are using, and is probably proprietary thus they cannot publish the stl.

now I have not read the hackaday article, but in this country the liability issue would prevent me from trying to use any medical device not approved by the FDA, and I doubt that can happen quickly.

1 Like

Agreed, was just trying to point out that printing that particular valve at this time may not be useful as the original post was direct to those of us that have 3d printers at home. Also, the choice will probably not be yours, it will be up to the medical professional taking care of you. I don’t see many of them wanting to use a device not approved by the FDA due to the potential for liability. I wasn’t referring to the valves but to the open source ventilator, although the same concerns may apply.

The more I look at the picture, I think it’s a venturi.

2 Likes
4 Likes

I saw that too, $11000.00 for one part is hard to believe, especially if it must be changed for every patient. I am amazed.

2 Likes

I bet if they do get sued, a GoFundMe would pay for it. These people are heroes. The patent holder should hire them since they can’t supply the parts. I’m all for protecting intellectual property under normal conditions. These aren’t normal conditions.

2 Likes

I came back to this thread to share this article. Utterly wretched that they’d decide to do this in the midst of a crisis when these people are helping save lives.

1 Like

a threat isn’t a courtroom decision. threatening letters with legal boiler plate is very common in the legal trade. this “case” will vanish. i would even bet money that some of the defendants are abroad since it was a collaborative effort.

with 500 dead in a 24 hour period in italy this “medical” company that makes the valves originally deserves a treason tribunal for posturing and mismanaging their intellectual property.

1 Like

I believe companies have to defend their patents or risk losing them. In an emergency such as this, I wonder if they can (revokeably) license the rights to it until the crisis is over.

1 Like

Trademarks, not patents, IIRC. That’s what I remember from the patent lawyer at my old job in the DOE.

1 Like

Might also be interesting.

2 Likes

I think @talkers is looking for a 3D printer to make these since the ones at the space aren’t available now.

The STL file is linked in the article.

It appears that the article has been modified. They are not going to sue from what the article says.

3 Likes

The devil is in the details on this bit.

Its a nice concept, but completely irresponsible.

From the website

So, basically either cut up existing masks, or use a cotton makeup pad?

Come now, it doesn’t take a rocket scientist to understand that this is a bad idea.

Its neat, its flashy but the science… its just not there without filter media.

1 Like

The solution is contained in your (realistic) objection. If someone wanted to move forward, they would need to source the filter material.

It looks like that should be the next step on the roadmap.

Testing should be after that.

1 Like

I’m thinking HEPA vacuum filters should work. Same material IIRC. Hardware stores probably have some that can be cannibalized.

3 Likes