3D printer help

Hi all,
I bought the Ender 3 v2… like it was suggested… I’m really happy with the purchase… I do need some help leveling the bed… my first Test print didn’t go so well… it’s spent what seems like a few minutes scrapping the glass… before it started down… then it put plastic string out… :joy:
I know I’m so close

That looks to me like a bed depth issue. If it scratched the plate for a couple passes before it started extruding then it thought the zero of the plate was in the wrong spot. I’m not familiar with the printer enough to help you with that exact model but hopefully that helps in the troubleshooting.

I ordered a bed leveling upgrade kit… it was suggested by a friend in NJ that has this printer… it a shame the stock springs won’t work… that the first I’ve ever said that :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Definitely agree with @malcolmputer on the first layer height issue. If you’ve already leveled the bed, then you might need to do the “paper test” to get the correct first layer height. Here’s a video that should help with both: Ender 3 V2 Easy Bed Leveling - YouTube

I’ve heard good things about the automated bed leveling solutions for the Ender, but I haven’t explored them myself. Probably one of the better upgrades to make.

This article to get a good idea of what a proper first layer extrusion looks like: 3D Printer Line/Extrusion Width | Best Settings & Examples
When you get the perfect height, the extruder will squish the filament a bit, making it stick better to the bed and adjacent extrusion.

Also, it’s tough to tell, but it looks like there could be a bit of a plastic-plastic adhesion issue there. You might try adjusting the temperature slightly hotter ( in 5C increments) and see if the plastic seems to melt together better.

This may be accumulated error from the first layer issues, but I think there might also be a bit of over extrusion. If you haven’t already, I’d recommend measuring the filament in 3-5 places over a meter or two, averaging the result, and putting that in your slicer’s config.

Congrats on the new printer!

2 Likes

Thanks for the advice… I have the auto level on my wish list… I was taking it steps as I learn to use this thing… nothing like jumping off the deep end with a bunch up upgrades and drowning…

I know I’m having an issue getting the bed level… it’s weird it was almost like the glass was warped… but it’s not… I’ll get the spring kit and trying again

I agree with the others here, looks like a combo of level and under heating. I have this printer and agree that the upgraded springs are probably the first upgrade I would do. I would say that my go to for PLA is 210/60 or 215/60, then 250/100 for ABS, and 240/75 for PETG. Also, I’ve made the mistake of buying cheap filament and you’ll have issues with it no matter how much you fiddle with the temp settings. Spend the extra couple of bucks for a name brand. I’ve had the best luck so far with Inland brand, YMMV.

2 Likes

That was the sample filament that came in the box…

Here is what I bought

The kid at Micro center recommend not using the silk…

I will say I’ve never had this much trouble leveling something :rofl::rofl::rofl:

I have not found the sample filament to be all that great. Id switch to that Inland one and test with it instead. Also, I’ve never had an issue with the silk vs matte, so I’m not sure what they were talking about.

Edit- if you have a laptop and feel like lugging the printer and your computer to the space I’d be glad to assist you in getting it up and running. Unless we have a computer on site that has Cura Slicer installed then just bring the printer.

If you have a good, dialed in process, silk can work very well. But many people find that it is less forgiving on first layer, and slicer issues.

1 Like

Interesting, I had not heard that. I admit I did not start using silk until after owning the printer for about 6 months so I likely had my process dialed in by then.

Found this video - followed his steps and it fixed my issue… my base didn’t rock. But my frame up rights were out of wack

3 Likes

check out the r/ender3 subreddit, they are very knowledgeable and helpful

4 Likes

This helped me a lot in the beginning too.

1 Like

I have to say… I’m really enjoying this rabbit hole :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl: and down we go… I passed water ship down last night…

All kidding aside - I’m learning a lot

4 Likes

I’ll just leave this right here for you…

3 Likes

Lol that looks advanced, wt least week to of 3D printing… :joy::joy::joy:

Well I found a couple of things wrong out of the box…

The fallopian tube wasn’t cut flash. He was at an angle so that explains why I was having heat and hot and issues. Once I fix that and upgraded call the Capricorn Bowden tube… I was able to print…

Stretch of the imagination my heart and ran into the top of my cube and broke it in half. But that’s enough of the adventure for one day…

3 Likes

Looks to me like your nozzle is dragging on the printer bed?

Once you get everything dialed in and start getting solid prints then the lithophane is just a file like any other.

BTW, also try printing a benchy boat as part of your calibration process. They’re fun and test more issues than the XYZ cube does.

Ender 3 Owner here, and my one gripe is that it’s a bit of a PITA to level the bed with those four knobs and a piece of paper between the nozzle and the bed.

1 Like