3D Printed Gadgets for Woodworking

Me likey:

5 Likes

Wonder the life span of the feather board jig?

Those things are helpful, just wonder if it would look like spaghetti after a week?

0 Likes

Me too. The micro-jig ones we have in Woodshop don’t get too much use, and therefore little abuse, I notice.

I like the idea of quick and cheap(ish) replacement, though. As well as maker-oriented perspective. Kinda like the bandsaw zero-clearance inserts that get 3D printed every now and then, and the dust cover for the Multicam.

1 Like

I’ve collected, modified, and in some cases created a number of tooling/makey things. They are collected on Thingiverse:

0 Likes

Lottta good stuff there! Sanding sticks look great, as do t-nut things.

I gotta get my 3D printer out of it’s box…sigh.

0 Likes

I haven’t had a chance to print the sanding sticks yet.

I like the painting triangles.

The parameterized knobs are good for holddown jigs. I also used them for the leatherworing stitching ponies (though I printed them at too low a fill - I’d go with 50% next time).

0 Likes

I built someone some bookcases a while back and they wanted adjustable shelves so I made a shelf jig in Fusion360 and printed it out. Worked great. The edge stop is removable so it can be laid down flush on a board if needed. Not pictured are the two pegs printed to fit in the holes as you move it up the board.

3 Likes

Also neato/good thinking!

0 Likes

I may print some. I’ll be using it on a saw with a 3" diameter blade.

Ha. Who am I kidding? I already have two that I don’t use. But the nerd in me is attracted to the idea so I might just make another one.

0 Likes

Given the design and the horizontal layout, if you printed them in ABS with 50% fill I imaging they’d hold up pretty well. The expensive part is the magnets, though: you can buy a feather board with MAGJIG 95 magnets for about $68. The magnets by themselves are $59, so printing your own feather board doesn’t really save much $$$. If you already had the magnets and your feather board was FUBAR, that’s a different calculus.

0 Likes

Closer to $55 on the Amazon, if it matters?

And 70 lb 1.25" diameter magnets (probably more than strong enough) are about $3.5 (in pkgs of 4).

Pointing out in case someone is actually thinking of making these and wants to calculate their costs vs. benefits of other choices.

0 Likes

The catch is that Flex items from layered approach are a lot more likely to fail/delaminate than injection molded. The layers add a bunch more failure points. I had a large issue with this when making little fidget spinners. The plastic had a minor amount of flex around the center baring when spun. This would lead to a failure within about 2 weeks. Also, the ABS tension breaks are bad as well.

But, still hopeful it just works. :slight_smile:

0 Likes

Strengthens the layer adhesion at the cost of lower overall strength. Might be worth it.

1 Like