3D printed cookie cutter

Hi has anyone had any success with printing cookie cutters on the 3D machine? I need someone to print some cookie cutters for me. I will pay for the filament.

2 Likes

Sorry, I don’t have the skills to help you, but you need to know that our Polyprinters use ABS, which isn’t a food grade plastic. If you’re making cookie cutters for a ceramics project, then ABS is suitable.

Otherwise, it would have to be done on the Rostock using PLA.

1 Like

Welcome to DMS, @Poodlemilktea!

I’m tagging @Team_3D_Fab to alert more 3D printing friends to see your post.

If you don’t find what you need, please send me a message @Holliday and I’ll start asking around in person.

Are you a member here or just visiting our forum?

Added: Do you need help with the 3D image, the printing, or both?

I did not know that thank you!

Not really related but still somewhat related:

I asked for help to design my schools logo (I tried but it looked like trash) for a Christmas ornament fundraiser for my sculpture/ceramics class. It’s gone ok. Not great…but a steady stream of funds to replenish the glaze collection.

If you are interested : my tricks (so far) of the trade have involved lots of plastic wrap for the first cut, compression compressions compression, a two stage cutout (see stage one in the background), a pretty large trash pile (the double line is the kicker), and observations of the clay stages for that second cut…and lastly a heavy distraction glaze to wipe away all the ceramic sins committed with this project and cute packaging always helps.
55 kids will make 4 each to sell so we will quickly become a production line of complete excess and probably some wickedly ugly mistake pieces.
I’m trying a veg oil trick one of the people in a clay group suggested in just a bit to see if it will help with the catch of that double line.

3 Likes

I’ve never understood the plastic wrap thing. I see people do that and I’m like :woman_facepalming: Looks like more work that it’s worth. Very easy to use a shallow tray of cooking oil about 1/4 inch deep. then dip the cutter in it should work fine. Oil burns off.

I’m of the pro-plastic wrap camp. It’s all about 'dat bevel with the plastic wrap. It makes it look a bit more finished to my eye but it just depends on what type of look you’re going for. Dut bam look at dem curves! Wapow

wp-1467047067825-1024x768

I’ve done cookie cutters for all sorts of fundraisers and kids stuff and this by far is the most difficult (I mean difficult within reason).
I JUST walked over and did the oil trick on early leather hard and it worked pretty so now I’m pro plastic…curves…and oil…insert joke here.
Party party party every damn day.

3 Likes

Do u you up have any issues removing the plastic?

I’ve been to studio’s that use WD40 but that seems like to much $ for something that will be burnt off.

Not really, I’ve cut it but that’s not that big of a deal - kinda spurts out a tiny tumor looking thing sometimes it works and sometimes you scrap it. It just kinda peels up after you’re done.
I’ve read about WD40 but that’s not something we have laying around at school so I’ll never know.

If you intend to eat the cookies I would coat the print in something food safe like an epoxy. The filament is one concern. The nozzle is another. The brass nozzles on most printers contain lead and the nozzles dissolve and wear down when printing. How many parts per million of lead are acceptable? Zero.

1 Like

…using food-safe PLA and a nozzle not made of brass.

+1

2 Likes

Even with all the food safe precautions the layer lines of a print are good places for bacteria to be trapped, it’s very difficult to clean and you can’t run it through very hot water like you normally would to sanitize dishes.

Personally, I don’t worry about it, I’ve just printed them as normal with normal materials and tossed it when done. But I’m not going to recommend someone else do that.

The Rostock should have a stainless steel nozzle IIRC. I think I suggested that as an upgrade, if not I have one for the Rostock I can bring by.

3 Likes

I met a guy that makes 3d print cookie cutters that he sells as part of his business. He uses commercial machines. Don’t know the details.

Not much help, but it’s doable.

1 Like