3D Fab Putting Part on Z plane 230908

Hello 3D Fab @Team_3D_Fab ,

Appreciation to Jason and Max Locke for some adult supervision on figuring out how to reorient parts in KessSlicer.

Have run into another bump in the road. Have finally learned how to design parts that avoid overhangs by making a model of more than one part that will lie flat on the base which I think is called the Z Plane.
But from time to time when the part is printed the part seems to be a millimeter or fraction thereof above the ZPlane which creates a mesh where it is unwanted between the flat plane of the part or bottom of the part and the printer base.
Have tried lowering the part in the 3D design software called Fusion 360 and, since the Transform Mesh function in Kissslicer, using Transform Mesh > Lower in Z Plane with no luck
Tried lower the part in the Z plane until it looks like the bottom of the part is a fraction of a millimeter below the Z Plane. But it still prints a network mesh under the part.
Please accept a request for a method for getting the part to lay flat on printer base.
Thanks.
Allen Pitts

Hello @Team_3D_Fab , Jason, Max Locke and the 3DFab forum,

The solution to the getting the part to print on the Z plane may have been discovered.
When the KissSlicer is used on the computer closest to the electronics room, the part has
a mesh under the base of the part as shown in the photo posted. But when the computer
just to the east of the computer closest to the electronics room is used the part prints
as expected. That is, the part prints on the printer base with the bottom of the part
on the printer base which results in flat shiny surface on the part bottom.
The conjecture is that the setting on the KissSlicer or the Octoprinter that operates as expected is different from the settings from the settings on the KissSlicer or the Octoprinter that
prints with the base a couple of millimeters above the base.
Perhaps someone could point out if this what is causing the printing defect and if that is true, how to lower the part onto the Z plane.
Thanks.

Allen Pitts
[email protected]
469 713 4147

1 Like

Could you please clarify which station you mean? Do you mean that it works on the computer that is south of the one closest to the electronics lab? I can’t picture a computer on the east side of that area.

Hello John Marlow and the 3D Fab forum,

Yes, your photo is correct.

There are four Dell computers on two desks. The machines referred to
are on the northern most desk. The one on the north desk, the Dell which is most
north, that is, closest to the electronics room causes the error. The machine
on the north desk farthest away from the electronics room, or the south most
machine on the north most desk, operates as expected.

Hope this helps.

Allen Pitts

1 Like

My guess is that RAFT is enabled in the slicer.

Rafts are used to help models that don’t have a large bottom surface to better adhere to the build plate.

1 Like

Hello SteveDC, John Marlow and the DMS forum,

The Raft setting in the KissSlicer Profile was also my hunch.

Have compared the two Profile Settings and don’t seem to see any difference.
Am I missing something?

Thanks
Allen Pitts

I believe it’s…

1 Like

Hello jsnowfreedman,

Thanks.

Allen Pitts

Once you get the right settings, you can export the settings to a file and then open it from your folder on any computer. It’s what the load / save options do in the software.

1 Like