3D Fab - Elagoo Mars Pro

Had a few misfires. Didn’t completely reset Z between prints. After that no issues.

If we can keep them clean, it should be viable for jewelry lost wax casting. I have two dif versions of wax resin I’ll be testing next week. Probably a bring your own tanks resin set up for us.

If anyone wants to help get the airlines tapped into jewelry to test the wax casting, would be alsum. I’m on the mend for a bit.

4 Likes

Probably another two weeks. Once I get a good base profile, I’ll write up a few basic rules that pertain mainly to safety and not ruining the machine parts.

I am more inclined to encourage people to bring their own vats and resin, since then you can guarantee it works and clean up is easier. Since its a much cheaper printer than the Form 2 I’m not going to really have as much training, just require people clean up after themselves.

5 Likes

Senetek wax resin. Will test the burnout next week.

Before curing and cleanup.

8 Likes

Before you burn it out … Any idea how much it shrank?

Sorry no idea what size the print was. Chitubox like it’s namesake leaves much to desire.

If you can send me a cube for tolerances maybe that would be good to print in the dif resins?

Testing denatured alcohol this morning on Senertek wax resin.

2 Likes

Roughly how long can you store the resin in the covered trays? I’m not looking for a commitment - just a ROM guess. Thanks.

1 Like

Both resins I currently have say 48h

1 Like

I have stored it a week with no issues. But I do have them in a dark spot with the lids on tight.

1 Like

I bought a pair of the extra Elegoo brand plastic tanks and I’m trying to figure out a reasonable way to implement them. Do they seal securely enough that I could (carefully) transport them in my car? I would keep the original (styrofoam?) packing to capture any minor dripping but I’m thinking about a major spill.

I’m assuming that anyone who uses their own resin will also be required to provide their own tank, and I have a couple special needs.

2 Likes

I bought aluminum trays and they came in a nice box that would be fine to transport in if you keep it flat. I think from the picture the plastic trays came in the same style box.

1 Like

Based on previous suggestions I tried this profile and support settings. Tiny Wall-E worked pretty well 1hr 35min print time.

Think I’m pretty close to writing a lesson on it with some help. Currently, we will probably need our own 91% isopropyl unless someone wants to try denatured alcohol, maybe better to go to workshop to wash it. An ultrasonic cleaner would work well. Luke and I have used the Form wash with dirty isopropyl and Cure unit (35C 30min)

6 Likes

Is there a way to set defaults to these settings? Or possibly by resin type?

You can save them in Chitubox settings as profiles. I just use the base Elegoo Mars Pro profile, make recommended adjustments from resin companies, or suggestions. Then save as Elegoo Seketer Wax Resin Fast etc

Seems to have worked fine on my two test. I’ll bring a can up today for others to try.

3 Likes

Just a note, WALL-E may have come off the line a bit underdeveloped there, 0.08mm layer and 8sec? Defaults were 8sec for 0.05mm.
I ran that batch print with the light off delay at 1 sec? And bottom light off was 5 or 10. That should shave off a good chunk of time off printing as well.

I haven’t done resin calibration prints in years, I need to dig up the files and run them sometime. There was an overhang test, and a full bed coverage grid with spikes for testing edge exposure dropoff, a reference (hollow) cube either 1cm or 1" would probably also be good (printed on supports of course for best dimensional accuracy), there was a strip test that did variable exposures throughout the print to help dial in exposure time for a resin(but that one was custom coded for a specific machine, I don’t think chitubox will ever support that feature), there’s also the full build volume empty lattice to stress test the machine on an 8?hr print.

1 Like

I don’t use any off time on my Mars Pro? But I would be interested in working on a calibration procedure.

2 Likes

Jewelry folks ran a few test burn outs of the casting resin this weekend. No failures in both gold cast investment and plasti cast. Very affordable and viable casting ave. :raised_hands:t3:

Price went up $10 looks like. Still way cheaper than most out there and very knowledgeable seller. In both casting applications and printers.

5 Likes

Is Jewelry going to buy their own resin and vat or should 3D fab? Looks great and very promising for the price a great value.

Sorry I’ve been slacking on getting the 3D fab Elagoo lesson written because of Battlebots. I’ve had offers to help, I just need to finalize it.

1 Like

Sweet, time to start making some teeth.

3 Likes

Why we need that 3D scanner, so we can scan teeth molds to make our own grills.

5 Likes

I would suggest everyone that is casting buy their own vat for sure. We may host our own machine just for casting resin, still up for discussion.

4 Likes