35L Liquid Nitrogen Dewar for sale

Taylor Wharton VHC 35
35L / 9.2 gallons
Double walled steel.
Large neck, with specimen cannisters
4 month (130 day) static holding time.

Bought them as a group, but I only need one.
All are university surplus, and in good condition.
$275 - have 3 available. All on casters.

I’m guessing that price is for each one? Or is it for all three?

I wonder if this is something that @Team_Science would be interested in purchasing for anything…???

1 Like

It is each - though I’d be open to an offer on more than one.

1 Like

can we keep liquid Nitrogen at the space?

It is not flammable, so the fire marshall shouldn’t have a problem with it. :wink:

2 Likes

Aside from cryoburn, I’m not aware of any major safety issues with storing it in an approved vessel. It does evaporate over time, though - the static holding time is how long it would take for a full tank to empty itself.

1 Like

At Texas A&M they had a LN2 dewar explode due to an issue with the safety valve. Not common, but it can happen…

1 Like

These are not pressurized (hence the relatively short storage life). They are float tops, so I cannot begin to imagine how that could happen with these.

1 Like

DMS already has a dewar, so yes. If not I can loan you 4 or 5.

1 Like

That’s good to know, Thanks!

It’s probably a good time to remind others reading this thread that there are three used dewars for sale at what seems to be (according to a quick search on Google and eBay) a pretty decent price.

@uglyknees a dewar! Time to break out the marshmallows

1 Like

Science would jump on this except that we already have one and I couldn’t ever really see us needing more than the one… it is missing its cap though

It’s just a reference picture - but I’m not sure what cap you mean. What cap is missing?

We have a liquid N2 dewar, but it’s missing the cap/plug that sits on top. It’d be like the blue piece in your pic

Ah, that makes more sense. I thought you were saying that ours was missing the cap.

Hello - do you still have these for sale? I am interested in buying one. Thanks!

Since this old thread floated to the top and someone mentioned this failure, I thought I’d link to this information about it. It’s not just that the pressure relief valve failed, it’s that after it failed someone “fixed” it by simply putting a metal plug in its place. And now, I leave you with the excellent writing of Derek Lowe (if you haven’t poked around his blog before, it’s a real treasure).

Wow, what a fantastic descriptive story. A must read. Here’s a snippet…
“The explosion blew all of the tile off of the floor for a 5’ radius around the tank turning the tile into quarter sized pieces of shrapnel that embedded themselves in the walls and doors of the lab.”