304 stainless welding

Tim, Zack or?

Does the Space have the gear to weld(TIG/Heliarc) 304 stainless ? I have a table (think commercial kitchen table) that I was to add a lip or curb to on two sides.

If not no biggie.

TIG machine should have the capability - just right filler rod.

Yes, we can TIG it. Or MIG it. TIG would be the cleanest

2 Likes

You’d want to TIG weld it, as the gas we have for TIG is 100% argon, and the MIG is 75/25, which would introduce carbon into the SS.

Make sure you increase the postflow time if you can on the TIG machine, and use a large cup with a relatively high flow rate as the SS is a pain when it comes to oxide.

Here’s a pretty high overview on welding stainless. It’s do-able, but can be fun.

1 Like

As was mentioned Ar coverage is huge! Get a good gas lens and cup size of 10. If you are doing butt joints you’ll need backing Ar. Or you should using backing.

Tim,

Thanks for the thickness gauge the other night! - it is 16 gauge stainless. I"ll pick up the material in the coming weeks and follow up.

I would say get tube so you dont have to worry about a sharp edge that sheet would have. 2x1" 16 gauge is about 120$ per 20 ft stick. Un-less you want them to break 2 edges on sheet of that thickness. In reality you could get 20 or 22 gauge so we can break it ourselves.

But our brake is limited to about 48-50". If longer that, we can’t do or risk mismatch.

tube is good - I was thinking of a smooth curb

My 304 welding question - is not going to be done by me (1989? was the last time I TIG welded anything).

Zach, slightly off topic - did you want the clear acrylic from several months ago?