30 days - Bisque and Glazed gone by 12/28/21

These have been tagged for removal in 30 days.

1 Like

If there are any flat pieces that are unglazed, and bisqued, and not claimed by their makers, could some of these pieces used as ‘cookies’ for glaze firings?

For example: the plate shapes may be suitable to use as a cookie for a glazed bowl. I am not there in-person to see if the rim of a plate would be problematic with a bowl shape placed on top. Perhaps the plate shape would work as a cookie under a vase etc.

Just a suggestion. When I was kiln team training, there seemed to be fewer medium/large cookies to use. There may be a large stack of larger size cookies now :slight_smile:

Also, for DMS ceramics teachers, if there are very simple bisqued shapes that are not claimed, they can make excellent teaching tool glaze tests. Not glazing the whole piece, but using sections of the form for different glazes or glaze combos. If glazing or how a glaze surface will look is an important part of your class.

Again, just a suggestion.

Thanks for the suggestions Utopia but we need to toss the pieces. If we use someone else’s “art” we run into issues/questions down the road as to why their piece was used in that manner.

Unless the committee as a whole wants to think about changing this guideline, that is how I’ve trained new folks.

@Monikat is pretty much right. DMS has a strong it’s-not-ours-toss-it-out policy. It’s been argued by some champion arguers, and we’re stuck with it. I know that most pottery studios consider abandoned ware to be fair game, and it might make really good sense. I mean – most of the leftover stuff is flat out abandoned, but DMS has this … guideline. And very little sense of conservation of stuff and not creating an additional waste-stream.

Some day I could give you chapter and verse on some of it. Some of it is based on actual laws. Personally, I’ve decided that many folks who sign up to write laws have some serious OCD going on. That explains so much of some of the crazier laws on the books. And by that I mean the official books, not the DMS books.

I’m fine with DMS policy on this. Like many in ceramics, and like many crafters and artists, I like to repurpose all things that can still be useful in a studio. And in many group studios (college, uni, art centers) its a given. But its absolutely no biggie that DMS has a different policy :slight_smile: