30 day November challenge: What are the Dallas Makerspace things you're thankful for?

Let’s take a minute and just reflect an commune in a positive way. This is a 30 day challenge - add one thing a day for the month of November. Start one list and edit it daily (or weekly) what you’re thankful for within this community. Ya, everyone does it on Facebook - shut it and play along and feel the dang love ya haters.

Let’s make this thing radiate with gross positivity.

4 Likes

Nicoles list

I’m thankful for…

1. @JohnK portrait series. It’s the best thing and I’ve seen lots of things.
  2. @Photomancer midnight emails and talks. David is many times my candle my chosen flavor of chaos of the week.
  3. (I’m getting one ahead because I don’t think I’m going to have easy internet tomorrow) the “new” of this place. Something (squirrel) is always new - sometimes its (squirrel) the drama of this place - but more often it’s some new concept or idea someone (squirrel) is working on - or a new tool with new possibilities. It’s (squirrel) overwhelming and awesome. We all need to be on IV drips of Adderal (squirrel).
3 Likes
  1. Stolen from @jeffbob, I’m thankful for the “Intellectual Bartering” of DMS.
3 Likes
  1. thankful for the multitudes of people that volunteer at DMS.
  2. thankful that we working to get DMS finances in order.
  3. thankful that next year we will not have to manage finances as we are.
6 Likes
  1. Chuck Baber’s laugh. (@dr_cee)
  2. The depth of compromise I’ve learned that I think only a shared workspace could’ve taught.
4 Likes
  1. The community of DMS, it is always impressive the questions able to be answered no matter how obscure.
  2. Philosophy Meet Up started by @Puzzlerf, I think we have been doing these weekly for years now, it one thing I hope never ends at DMS
  3. @Kriskat30 for her drive to open up information of DMS to all Members
  4. @Gimli for his help over the years now. His guidance in shooting is amazing and he freely shares it with so many
  5. @Axel_Ohmstede for his excitement and abillity to laugh at anything and to run from all politics
  6. @TBJK for his drive to fix shit, I don’t see how he makes time to do his own projects.
  7. @dallasmagna our residential mob boss at the space, there are few task he is not qualified for. Also, watching his projects is always educational as he is willing to brute force his way to many interesting solutions.
  8. @wandrson for also being willing to take the punishment for pointing out issues even though some may dislike him for doing so.
  9. @StanSimmons for some how staying so kind in his handling of new members though he must answer the same questions every day.
  10. @Lampy for all the naughty grins he has brought me in pryotechnics and for his wanting punishment to help even when others are making the process harder than it should be.
  11. @uglyknees for a growing friendship and seeing what happens when you say fuck it and just do the things you want to.
  12. Wood Shop for all the awesome committee members and amazing tools. I’ve now produced work in their I would of never planned to even attempt
  13. Hatcher’s Committee for doing something that many thought was impossible to offer to a group like ours
  14. Vector and @nickdangerous, we worked very hard for years and I learned so much. Though I’m sad it didn’t end in a museum of the best restored pinballs in the world, it was all time well spent!
  15. Ceramics / Fired Arts, I remember fighting for the first throwing wheel in this committee and now it has blossomed into a full ceramics offering. Amazing
  16. Small Metals / Jewelry, @AnneGullett started this committee and I was but a bystander that wanted flat wire. Now it is a full offering of classes and tools as well!
  17. Metal Shop, though the road has been bumpy and it still a fully functioning committee, it has grown its offering so much and the quality of the tools are exciting to see.
  18. @TLAR and Automotive, I’ve paid for a few months of membership changing my own oil, thanks for this opportunity.
  19. @coloneldan and @bhouse these two are awesome and give so much back to the space.
  20. Personal growth and always having my opinions questioned, rather than hiding in the echo chambers of the internet.
  21. @thatguy for taking on responsibilities that were thrust upon him.
  22. @missydee1206 for not killing Steven for taking on the responcibilities
  23. @FrenchFrog for helping on the interpreting of Parks Pantry Data, her work will help all the membership in understanding our galley better.
  24. @nicksilva for setting an example of how to run a committee in a way that it actually stays clean and usable a vast majority of the time.
  25. @axeonos for taking back on the challenge of a vacuum former at DMS, please let this one survive!
  26. @Photomancer for the random lunches and all the chats we have shared about how special DMS is.
  27. @mblatz for all the snark and laughs.
  28. @Bill for all he does at DMS, few share at the level he does, tackling issues of running the classrooms or bringing in tons of model rockets to excite and help a young DMS member.
  29. @artg_dms for continuing to grow electronics and managing to get things done.
  30. @artnerdray for the fun stop motion projects he has been pushing. They have been special to watch to completion.
11 Likes

I am thankful for fired arts and really appreciate @dryad2b firing my creations and all of the tips, help and advice that I have received. I have a pretty high stress job and it helps to be able to go to DMS at any time, get away from the job and the kids and just play with clay for a while.

I’m incredibly thankful for everyone who teaches a class, especially when I’m the only one there and I know that the teacher is teaching the class for free.

I’m thankful to @uglyknees for scheduling so many fun events.

Huge thank you to @Diplomat for painting!!

I am very thankful for all of the volunteers, especially everyone on the board.

Thankful for @Lampy’s work on the finances, I know it is a ton of work and that the work of an accountant isn’t always appreciated as much as it should be.

7 Likes

There are so many people and things I am thankful for at DMS.

1. The ability to serve this wonderful place and the people therein. You inspire me in every way!
    2 my mentors: @kyrithia, @purpleporpoise, @nicksilva, Chuck B, Jimmy A, @John_Marlow, John K, @StanSimmons. You have all allowed me to increase my knowledge and improve myself. Thank you.
  2. The creators of this wonderful space. I’ve not met you all but I enjoy all the stories of how it started.
  3. I’m thankful for the challenges I face from learning new skills to helping people in need to learning how to listen better to those who give voice to their concerns.

This place has touched my soul and I’m so very proud and thankful you all have allowed me to help direct DMS at this time in its development. You guys make me a better maker.

7 Likes

There are so many things I think I will leave folks till late in the month
so I don y miss anyone

1. tools and especially for the one tool that convinced me to join, the Rolling mill
  2. the facility and the 24/7 access-- with my issues this has been a huge help to keeping me active
  3. the member laptops, they were a salvation for me when both my compter dies
3 Likes

Plagiarism is a compliment.

Jeff Whitcomb
2100 Bowling Green
Denton, TX 76201
800-969-9368
cell-903-203-9463
“The only good sense is one of humor, without it all the others are worthless.” JCW
[email protected]

Only if you’re not in my wife’s history classes… then it’ll get you a zero on your paper. :slight_smile:

I love to learn and have learned from @zmetzing, @John_Marlow, @nickdangerous, @Photomancer, @dallasmagna, @jast, @LisaSelk, and more. :slight_smile:

I’m thankful for the teachers to take the time to share what they know and for the folks willing to mentor people on new machines and through tasks they’ve never done before.

7 Likes

Everything - the people, the learning opportunities, the 24-hr access, the equipment, the creativity, the support and encouragement, the camaraderie, … everything!

3 Likes