3-D Project Help Needed

Hi All

I am reverse engineering a pair of small investment castings via my DMS Solid Works license (at home).
I have been thru 3-D fab training and have my notes.
However, this is my first project and would like to know if one of the 3-D people will be at DMS today or thru the weekend who could assist me with my first print.
Also need to know the current method of saving my model for 3-D printing access (thumb drive or shared drive at DMS-in house).

Thanks!

If you’re going to be using the resin printers, it might be best to bring your own flash drive. There is a flash drive at DMS, but I’m told that it’s a little finicky sometimes. I generally find the keeping your files on the member Drive is easiest.
What specifically do you need help with? Are you modeling or do you need help with the printing process?

Will, what method are you doing the investment castings? There are three methods that can be done in 3D fab.

I’m rusty but up here. Any idea when you would come?

Remember: the Solidworks we have on the jump server is from 2017, whereas the version on your home computer is 2021. 2017 doesn’t “get” 2021. So you won’t be able to edit your files at DMS until we eventually update the jump server.

We’ve been waiting on getting an updated copy of Solidworks on the jump server for a long, long time now. Not Dassault’s fault, though. We’ve had the update code for a while.

I am in the midst of modeling some parts for an HO scale brass locomotive. Having to reverse-engineer the existing castings while also referencing an original (limited) engineering drawing as well as available photographs. (Locomotive firebox). Parts are about 1.5 long, 0.625 wide and about 0.02 thick. Right now, I would just like to print resin sub-component as a test-fit and proof. Later, I will print castable resin and outsource the casting, as yellow (leaded) brass casting is currently not permitted at DMS.

I can come up later this afternoon/early evening. Need to finish the modeling and need to run by Rockler on the way to DMS.

I personally will not be up here at that time but usually on Saturdays someone is around who knows.

Usually when I come up Sat evenings no one has been around. If you can tell me what time is good for you today thru Monday or next Fri thru Sun.

Remember to model shrinkage. The resin shrinks and so does the casting. In the case of the resin, X and Y axis shrinkage are basically equivalent; Z-axis shrinkage varies widely based on the part geometry and orientation during printing. If you expect things to fit together, you need to plan to machine the castings.

At least that’s been my experience. YMMV.