3/20/21 - Laser Maintenance Day

https://calendar.dallasmakerspace.org/events/view/16454

We will be having the monthly laser cleaning and maintenance day this Saturday, 3/20/21. Please join us and help keep the beasts running smoothly. We have fresh cleaning supplies and plenty to work on!

Some of the goals I want to focus on this month are:

• Cleaning the rust off of Donner’s leg (screw)
  • Cleaning out behind/under the lasers
  • Finding an additional table to space out the computers for Donner and Blitzen
4 Likes

Hello,
I’d like to come and help with the laser maintenance as well as learn more about their capabilities. Would this be ok? If so, what time should I show up?

I am not currently a member but have been on and off for many years. Thinking about joining again to work on a art project I think the lasers could help me with.

Thanks
Sheneka

1 Like

Registered for the event. Thanks

Yes, you are welcome to come and get more familiar with the lasers.

1 Like

Any way some of this could be done after the class?

Some of what? This is the maintenance day. Folks are welcome to come help, but it’s not really a class, per se.

Thank you to everyone who came out to help work on the lasers!
@Julie-Harris @ShenekaRains @dougbcave @michaelb Dave Shannon and Matt Scarborough

We got all the lasers cleaned and aligned. The lasers are shiny now and you can see through the glass!

Also huge thank you to Dave Shannon and @dougbcave for helping to fix Donner! The z-axis is working again. It just needed some very deep cleaning.

5 Likes

Is it ok to ask for one on one training if all classes are full or do I need to wait and try to catch an opening?

You can ask for a one-on-one lesson. I was about to schedule a class but then realized that next Sunday is Easter for some reason…It used to be at the end of April and now it’s on the 4th apparently?!
So I’ll schedule one for 4/11.

2 Likes

Easter is a goofy floating holiday. It’s scheduled on the “can’t be day the pagans would be celebrating”, so it floats by up to a month either way. Seriously. Can’t be the equinox. Can’t be the full moon closest to the equinox. I think that’s all the “can’t’s”.

Great I’ll keep an eye out. Do you happen to know what group in in charge of the plasma cutter?

That would be Metal Shop

For the Dynatorch, if you show up to the Metal Shop meeting, which should be next Saturday 4/3 at noon, and stick around for some clean-up, then @hon1nbo has said he’ll teach the clean-up people whatever they want to learn.

That is assuming that he’s in town. Jim – are you going to be there? The meeting isn’t on the Calendar yet.

2 Likes

Rad! Thanks

I’ll be in town for it

~Tails

2 Likes

Hello Hon1nbo,
We are celebrating Easter Saturday 4/3 so I won’t be able to participate in maintenance day if it is indeed scheduled that day. I’d appreciate a heads up if you have any other alternatives to get certified.

Thanks
Sheneka