2019.10.25 - Digital Media Meeting Minutes

They’re up
https://dallasmakerspace.org/wiki/Digital_Media_Committee_Meeting_20191129

2 Likes

Did you get the decimal in the wrong place in there a few times?

2 Likes

$100,000 in workstations and furniture?

Rgb light grids for the ceiling. It’s clearly important enough to waste time on

Nope your eyes are working thats 6 figures of stuff.
Intended to be a transparent roadmap vision & done to follow the new financial SOP.
This way there are no surprises or issues of notification.
Think of it as where DM should be if it had funding or a grant like one of the $200k government ones I applied for.

Ever had a boss give you stretch goals?

When I got here the goal was to make the area functional.
That’s winding down and coming to an end.
Now we can work on making it awesome.

All the computers DMS owns in here are 3-10 years old.
Let’s give them a reason to come to the space and not just sit at home and use their 1 yr old laptop to run circles around our gear.

Time to switch gears to 6m, 1/yr, 3/yr roadmap planning.
A common direction and goal people can get behind as I champion and lead a new era in Digital Media. Maybe we can vote on a statue budget also. They will build statues Freddy, they will.

Yeah furniture is expensive.
That’s why I applied for a grant from the container store down the road.
They were like $25k
I have it quoted 5 different ways. Everything from building it by hand picking wood from scratch to purchasing

Also the Corsair One i82 CPUs alone without monitors, peripherals equivalent to the one on loan are $4,200 a piece

Those are terrible as workstations and even if they weren’t terrible as workstations the value they offer is terrible. I’m down for stretch goals but not like this.

I agree but there are other options. For example this took 30 seconds to find.

If you can get grant money to pay for the stuff then that’s great. I don’t think it’s a good idea to spend money collected from dues like this.

Come to a meeting then. Propose an alternative build. There’s plenty of time to change it. There’s also dell precision’s from the server store @hon1nbo and I have been looking at. In fact infrastructure bought a 7000 series for the common area design computers a couple weeks ago.

Also those desks aren’t straight and you can’t exactly put Craigslist’s adds in a future roadmap

I would hope you’re receptive to feedback outside of a meeting.

That’s a much more reasonable option in my opinion. I’ve done this myself on occasion and then thrown in graphics cards, drives, whatever was needed.

Sure they can. Those won’t be the only desks ever on Craigslist. Probably half of the shit at the space or more was purchased used (auctions, Craigslist, word of mouth, etc.). A certain amount of money can be allocated for a specific purpose and then take action when it’s appropriate to do so.

1 Like

I’m open outside of meetings and will be happy to tell you what the criteria is, use cases and options that were evaluated anytime unless I’m really in the middle of building something on a machine.

How ever anything over $500 needs to be voted on by the committee now during a meeting so you’d have to show up to at least one. No arm chair quarterbacking.

I like to consider myself very open to others opinions and able to admit when there is a better one. I say let the best ideas win

Agenda Item 7: $65k for Computer Workstations

These numbers don’t make any damn sense. $65k for workstations? The dell 7910s we spec’d are at $1300/pop, and the only improvement needed is a better GPU. Even after adding an extra $500/station for a better GPU, with 20x workstations that’s only $36k

Razer - Headphones, Huntsman Keyboard & Base Station (pink preference)

Seriously? Razer keyboards and mice will create driver hell and are pretty overpriced for what you get. These headphones aren’t for audio or video work, they’re for gaming. Something like Sennheiser HD series are a good price for reference headphones for actual editing and recording.

Corsair One i82 CPU units

as @lukeiamyourfather mentioned, these are a terrible value proposition.

8 x Uplift desks - EST22219 - $19,450

how the heck did you get this number for 8 of these? These desks are like $500 each.

3 Likes

Just a correction of it being $200 for a committee vote.

2 Likes

So … what’s in the roadmap that justifies ~2 months of organization-wide revenue?

Not a roadmap.

OK, and? Moore’s Law stopped being perceptible going on a decade ago.

That’s sort of a reason, but I don’t see how that gets to ten workstations at $6500/workstation when ~$2000 will buy a pretty decent workstation that will serve the organization well for many years.

So wait, where’s that roadmap again?

Roadmap?

3 Likes

Roadmap -

1, Buy all the things

1 Like

That’s how we roll. But usually the price tags are smaller.

3 Likes

Heck, $1500 does pretty well too. Top that with some in house plywood or even ikea desks, office chairs that we at least used to have plenty of, a TV in the front and we’d have a nice computer lab for like, 1/5th the cost.

2 Likes

These are the ones Infra has been happy with. We get them at a discount (~$1300). They would just need a better GPU for editing etc.

3 Likes

I built something similar myself in August, replacing a 10-year old desktop:

10 years and the single-thread performance had improved by a mere ~2.5x, as opposed to the >10x increase we would have expected in the 90s through the mid 00s.

My $2k figure also includes a 42" 4k display.

2 Likes

I think my main point was that we don’t need to spend $65k on computers to get something usable.

If we decide to build a computer lab though, I don’t think that’s the best option. But we can leave that debate until we’ve got a budget set out that’s… you know… reasonable.

1 Like