2004 pontiac grand am 3.4 engine

i have a 2004 pontiac grand am 3.4 engine, and the engine recently started knocking and shaking babdly. googling the issue (as well as the diagnostic computer) has led me to believe that there is and issue with the #2 piston, most likely that the rocker arm pulled the thread out of the head, or that the valve had become jammed or damaged. does anyone know if this can be done myself, or should i take it in to get fixed?

also, if you think that my diagnostic is off, please say so

Sounds like at a minimum you’ll have to pull the head to work on the valve. Is that within you scope of abilities. If you can pull a head but don’t want or have the skills to rework it, buy a rebuilt head, switch it out and you’ll have a “new” head and valves in place.

Technically not a hard job to remove and replace - just a lot stuff to undo and remove to get at it. Get someone to show you how to place new gaskets, including intake and exhaust and proper torquing technique - a good skill to have in your bag of tricks.

Looks like you can get a rebuilt head fairly cheap. @Tlar can probably find it cheaper and delivered same day .

EDIT: The cams timing belt isn’t hard to put back, but very critical it is done correct.

Idea as to costs: http://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/pontiac,2003,grand+am,3.4l+v6,1410994,engine,cylinder+head,5304

This engine?
This noise?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZdNrlJFSXWc

sounds kinda similar

I’ll stick to my standbys, and advocate for this process, whether you do it, or have a shop do it:

1. do a compression test (or 6, just to be sure of each cylinder’s condition and might help determine best course of repair action).
  2. Then, if indicated, a leakdown.
  3. Then, if indicated, a teardown.

If it’s limited to rocker arm/threads retaining it, won’t be that big of a deal; remove intake manifold and valve cover(s) and repair/replace broken whatsit.
If it’s a burnt/broken valve, or other internal issue, bigger deal, but same general process…

If you want to tackle this yourself…

I’d suggest you start with removing the valve covers to see if it indeed is a valve train issue.

Driving / running the engine with a possible valve issue may lead to a catastrophic engine failure - so keep that it mind.

2 Likes