2001 Camry Check Engine Light

Thanks to everyone who helped me get my wife’s car to pass inspection!

Now my 2001 Camry V6 is throwing a check engine light. My understanding of this problem is that I’ll need to replace the EVAP canister. Sound right?

Check/replace the gas cap first.

OEM from Toyota will arrive Sunday :slight_smile:

In the MX-5 world it means you didn’t tighten the gas cap enough. The rule of thumb on those cars is “3 clicks” when tightening. If not you get those silly codes, but they’ll go away if you tighten the cap and drive around a bit. :slight_smile:

Or that you bought one of those silly new cars with fancy self monitoring :wink:

1 Like

Could easily be an O-ring as well. That’s happened on my Jeep many times.

I like how the fancy new monitoring routinely triggers a set of codes, usually none of which reflect the actual problem requiring remedy. Fancy…

Uh, where’s the o ring? On the gas cap?

I definitely smell a little fuel about 25% of the time I get out of the car. That and the misfires are what makes me nervous. Watched a video yesterday that says it could also just be the hoses on the EVAP canister or on some air intake thing under the hood. Hoses on EVAP look fine, but I did find this kinked hose under the hood. Doesn’t look normal right?

Likely on the canister hose connections. Like in the picture below. But of course it won’t be easy to get to. It’s over the rear crossmember. May be a good time to get lift training if you haven’t yet.

So, magically, the check engine light has shut off and my car has stopped misfiring… guessing the colder weather helped get a better seal on the gas cap. Reset the MIL, and all is passing so far. Toyota cap arrives tonight, and hopefully that takes care of it for a while

1 Like