2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee coolant leak

One downside to going green is that a lot of newer cars have soy based plastic insulation on their wiring. Guess how many things can climb under the hood who think that anything that smells like soybeans is a food?

Iā€™m hoping electrical issues wonā€™t be a common theme, the engine wiring harness is 100% solid from the looks of it. Because of the inside flooding I want to take a special look at the trim electrical and and power lock for the hatch is ???

When I went through my electrical nightmare I had intermittent stalling, gauge cluster going haywire and random sensor and misfire codes.

Unfortunately I was not aware of the PCM being the issue so after spending $800 on 8 new coil packs, spark plugs, molar brand throttle position, crank position, cam position, map, iac, and oil pressure sensors and still getting the same codes, I bought a reman pcm for $200 from a shop in Florida with a lifetime warrantee (that they honored when the first box was a dud).

Looking back, had I started with the pcm I would have saved decent chunk but on the positive side, I saved the old sensors and now have spares for everything

The FL (allcomputerresources.com I believe) guys seemed sketchy at first but Iā€™ve got 10000 miles on the second pcm the sent me and havenā€™t had so much as an electrical hiccup.

I would advise against cracking open the box to try and resolder the pins yourself. The circuit board is inside a resin filled box and the pins are behind very brittle plastic connectors that if break you have no way of making a positive seal with the pigtail plug.

Definitely going to take your advice on this one.

If it was water instead of coolant, I do not think you had any damage to wiring from the flooding. I had the plugged drain problem and once the carpeting dried out, it did not even smell.

Side note, the carfax had a mileage discrepancy that Iā€™d like to figure out. Do you know of the PCM contains the mileage information? If so I bet mine has already been replaced / worked on.

Yes, mileage is contained in the PCM. One of the fields you input when ordering a new pcm is mileage.

But car fax doesnā€™t actually verify mileage. I wouldnā€™t be surprised if there was maintenance reported with innacirate mileage on the report. Carfax is good for finding out olde accidents or number of owners, I wouldnā€™t trust it for mileage.

Alright, hereā€™s the parts list

Rockauto was cheapest, ebay second and AutoZone third

3 Likes

Good news everyone, the water pump is in excellent condition, bearings are great.

Next Friday is the installation day and hopefully driving day!

1 Like

Alright, tonight is the night! I have a car full of HOAT coolant, oil, filters, radiators, distilled water, hoses and more! Letā€™s do this!!

1 Like

Nice ā€“ didnā€™t know we had one of those. Saves me a trip to the parts store for the rental. Do we have the fluid for it too, or should I grab some on the way?

Aside: are we getting more kitty litter, or are we committing to the caustic-chemical cleanup method? (In which case I might need a little instruction on that next time Iā€™m in, particularly on what to use as a rinse agent for it ā€“ though hosing down the bay with a high powered pressure washer does sound like fun when it gets hot!)

We used it the other night to discover that a Grand Caravan which had boiled off its coolant did not have a head gasket problem. There should be fluid for it somewhere in Automotive.

2 Likes

Kitty litter is next to the 10 ton press

So the jeep should be done now. Doing a long and tedious burp process to make sure thereā€™s no coolant and then Iā€™m gonna give it a quick test run. Hereā€™s hoping

3 Likes

IT IS DONE! Driven it for two days now without any issues related to the coolant :smiley: !

However, now the blower motor stopped working (common issue: http://www.wjjeeps.com/blower_motor.htm ). The trek continues!

3 Likes

Misdiagnosed the floorboard being wetā€¦ Gotta be the sunroof and rain as i havenā€™t used the ac

Did you check the sunroof drain? The drains can get clogged and cause leaks in vehicles with sunroofs.

See Rob Powe

Ask me how I know :sweat_smile:

I dumped water down it after drying it to try and find the leak but it was properly training out of the body. Whatā€™s the common failure point and whatā€™s the fix ?

Gonna use some canned air later. Our shops air is like 10000 psi lol

In my case, the line was rubber and it was just old and cracked. I had to pull apart the interior to replace it.

Blew air through the lines reverse style and it worked well, resealed the grommet in the floorboard, weā€™ll see what happens!

Here was tonights discovery though: