2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee coolant leak

Soldering irons are like $8 bucks at radio shack :frowning:

Check the grommet for the antenna wire where it passes through the passenger side A pillar.

1 Like

?!?!?!?!

The tranmission fluid was entirely too full according to the dipstick. I’m not in the mood to change it right now so I siphoned some out

This is a 3lb coffee can and and the level of fluid is still off the charts!

WHY PEOPLE!

Be very careful with that. Checking the transmission fluid level is one of the things the owner’s manual warns against DIY. There is either a special procedure or tool needed to do it properly.

Edit: Check the shop manual if you have one.

I’m following the instructions from:

http://www.wjjeeps.com/service/transmission.htm

I wonder how that differs from the owner’s manual

MODEL 45RFE or 545RFE: (used with V8 engines only)

1. Transmission fluid must be at normal operating temperature for accurate fluid level check. Drive vehicle if necessary to bring fluid temperature up to normal hot operating temperature of 82°C (180°F). The torque converter fills in both the P (PARK) and N (NEUTRAL) positions.
  1. The engine should be running at idle speed for at least one minute, with the vehicle on level ground.
  1. Apply parking brakes.
  1. Place the selector lever in P (PARK) to be sure that the fluid level check is accurate.
  1. Clean top of filler tube and dipstick to keep dirt from entering tube.
  1. Remove dipstick and check fluid level as follows:

(a) Correct acceptable level is in crosshatch area or area between “COLD” and “HOT”.

(b) Correct maximum level is to “HOT” arrow mark.

© Incorrect level is at or below “COLD” line. The fluid level will be approximately at the upper COLD hole of the dipstick at 70° F fluid temperature.

(d) If fluid is low, add only enough Mopar ATF +4 Automatic Transmission fluid to restore correct level. Do not overfill.

Okay well I have fluid darker than oil and smells like a burnt house, doing pretty good right :slight_smile:

I’m thinking I’m going to drive into the deepend and do a full rebuild. I’m gonna keep this basterd until she dies

Transmissions are magical things, thanks for the link!

1 Like

I used this video when disassembled my 45rfe. No prior knowledge of automatic transmissions and I was able to fully disassemble and reassemble it in about 3 hours (not counting removal) if you go full trans rebuild, get the HD2 shift kit from TransGo as well. It helps with some short comings in the valve body design and pump. As always, I’m usually available if you need help

1 Like

I’d suggest starting with changing the fluid and filter/or filters (if the filter is replaceable) and go from there. This is certainly the least expensive / least invasive route.

Judging the rest of the vehicle and the possibility this transmission is over 300k miles I’m thinking a rebuild just for my sanity.

2 Likes

Generally speaking - if the vehicle is old enough to have a dipstick, then please do check the fluid level according the to the owner’s or service manual.

Many vehicles in the last 10 or more years do not have auto trans dipsticks at all - or worse yes, they use the drain plug as the fill port - making things more “fun”

2 Likes

The owner’s manual for this particular vehicle does not specify a recommended procedure. I will post the exact text later.

Edit: a procedure is given to check the transmission fluid for models with the 6 cyl engine. For the 4.7 V8:

“Checking the automatic transmission fluid on vehicles with 4.7L engines requires a special service procedure. Refer to the Service Manual for the proper procedure or see your authorized dealer.”

This could be a racket to boost the profit of the service department or to sell service manuals. However, I have heard of some vehicles with different transmissions in which case step 0 is to ID the particular transmission variety.

Too many “owner’s manuals” of today suggest the vehicle owner not do anything but put fuel in and if a problem or issue arises they should head straight to an authorised dealer for repairs.

The factory service manuals are the only way to go - but can be pricey 

the pair of 3 ring binders for a Unimog 1300L are from $250 to $400 just for the mechanical volumes (body not included)

“most” common factory manuals are available - often near for around $100 +/- .
Keyword there is “common”
Half Price books is a good local place for factory manuals
Ebay is another source and local(ish) automotive swap meets/car shows.

@LukeStrickland I have an illbegotten digital copy of the Chrysler Factory Service Manual for 99-04 WJs if you need a quality manual.

1 Like

Let me know if/when you try to rebuild the motor or trans, is love to see yours to compare the shape mine was in.

2 Likes

Definitely I’ll let you know, it won’t be until later this summer most likely. Electronic service manual would be helpful, can you PM it?

Behind the scenes - I am trying to get one of the oldest and most experienced automatic transmission rebuilders to come to the Space and give a lecture / discussion.

that among other manufacture/vendors as well.

5 Likes

For the record the clogged a/c drain can store 2 gallons of water lol

2 Likes

Please try to shout this out with plenty of lead time. I really want to try to attend.

3 Likes