2000 ford ranger

Hey guys. A few weeks ago my wheel bearings weren’t doing so well and when I replaced them I noticed the shaft or spindle they rotated on had some grooves in it. Do I need to replace that part? If so, I’ve been looking online to buy said part but I can’t seem to find it anywhere besides used out of a junkyard. Thanks guys.

Define grooves. If it is so small your fingernail doesn’t catch in it, I wouldn’t even think about it. If it is so worn that the bearing is looser on the spindle than the other side, or where the bearing doesn’t ride, you probably want to replace it. Anywhere in between is a judgement call at best.

2 Likes

Derp. I can’t read. Nevermind.

1 Like

Most traditional spindles that use a pair of tapered roller (needle or ball) have minor “grooves” left by the machine process.
The bearing doesn’t “ride” on the spindle - the bearing rotates on the bearing race(that race that often stays on the spindle when removing the rotor or drum).
Each bearing has a race.- the quation is …did you replace the bearing races in the rotor?

I replaced the complete rotor and inner and outer bearings. Would that include the races? I’ll double check every little part I put on it with my receipts. Me and my father did it

Yes. Without the races all you basically have is rolling elements. Which for hubs are usually tapered bearing. Curious? Did you follow the manufacturer’s recommendation for the torque on the retainer axle bolt?

Traditional bearings have separate race that you must drive into the new rotor after the old ones are driven out(we have the tools at the space for that)

some F150s had front rotors that came with the wheel / hub bearings as one piece (but I don’t know if they ass’ed up Ranger models like that)

those spindle nuts typically aren’t torqued - they are tightened until the correct “play” is left in the bearings, then a new cotter pin is installed…

Here’s a video of a 2002 4x2 Ranger front wheel bearing replacement (no part of which I am endorsing; for demonstration purposes only).

I assume this is roughly what you did.
You can see in here an example of driving out the old races, and driving in the new. Professionals have prettier equipment for doing this, with faster, more consistent results but the overall result is the same.
I think your original question pertained to a scored spindle, and whether you need to be concerned about it.

The short answer is: yes. If it’s scored, some wicked stuff happened and it should be replaced.

The longer answer is “it depends”. If the scoring does not interfere with the inner bearing race seating properly on the spindle, and there is still enough contact for the bearing to do its job properly, and whatever caused the scoring did not cause an overheat situation (wherein the spindle would lose its temper, and strength), then you’re all good.

Without knowing anything about you and your dad, I’ll say “good question. It depends. Without being there, it’s hard to say. Since your father was involved, I will assume he knows what’s what, and say, ‘you’re good’”.

1 Like

Well, he very much wants to change the spindle, mainly because of some discoloration and the wheel bearings were pretty shot when I replaced them. Now I can’t seem to find new spindles that don’t lift or lower the truck and I’m not sure why. I’m just searching 2000 ford ranger spindle and all I’m getting are used rusted parts and I’m not sure I trust ebay. I thought about going to a junkyard and taking ome from there but again I would rather just put a new part in to make sure I don’t need to worry about it again. Also that is exactly what we did in the video including the races. My dad also insists that I need to replace both front spindles.

1 Like

That maybe a dealer only part. That maybe why you cant find it.

1 Like

I see.
I’m not sure why, but I’ve had no luck finding new ones, either, except to raise or lower. Looks like salvage may be your only option, from what I can find. BTW, slightly eye opening experience, to not be able to buy what seems like a part which should be commonly available…

Seem that you can get them from the dealer… not cheap though

1 Like

Ouch!
:blankspace: :blankspace:

You may have to offer to trade a set of new raise or lowers for the original parts…

1 Like

Lol…2"drop spindle then get 2" lift springs…

2 Likes

Any chance of you driving it to the Space ? if not where do you live? I may be able to come out an take a look. Again - I seriously doubt you need spindles but…

This is east of Dallas - for $300 you get the whole shibang:
https://easttexas.craigslist.org/pts/d/2000-ford-ranger-xlt-2wd/6308237853.html

1 Like

It is HIGHLY unlikely that the spindles need to be replaced…unless a bearing got hot enough to seize on the spindle (that event alone would have generated a whole lot of other questions)

1 Like