2 Newbie glaze questions

Hi all!

Mom and I have been very much enjoying using the space and learning the basics of ceramics. Y’all have created such an amazing space here! We appreciate all you’ve provided and created. It’s quite an amazing gift to have access.

We’re doing our best to understand the rules and processes. To that end, we had two
quick questions:

Is it acceptable at DMS to use wax resist when I’m glazing? Do I need to use my own cookie if I use wax? Or is there anything special I need to do before I put it on the shelf to be fired if I use it?

We noticed someone had pieces on the “glazed to be fired” shelf with notes in them that just said ‘Celadon’. Do we need to put similar notes when we use a Celadon glaze? Or is there some other reason to provide a note to the firing team?

Thanks for helping us understand the right way to do it!

Michelle & Stephanie

1 Like

You can certainly use wax resist when glazing, just be sure to wipe off as much of the glaze as you can that gets on top of the wax resist.

As far as the note, celadons are usually very stable non- runny glazes so you can usually get away with smaller than 1/4 inch line at the foot. Many glazes have a lot more movement which is the reason for the 1/4 inch line. Still will need a cookie just in case.

2 Likes

Wax resist only resists glaze sticking to part of your pot. It isn’t helpful at all once it burns off in the kiln, so drippy glazes will still be drippy. Cookies are almost always a good idea. Plus, if you didn’t clean off any glaze that stuck to the wax resist, then that will be on your pot after firing. (Thus Steve’s suggestion about wiping.)

1 Like

Signing up for a glaze class to get all of your questions answered is another great way to glean a ton of information. :slight_smile:

Anything that falls outside of the glazing guidelines listed on the Ceramics Wiki page should have a note accompanying it. Category:Ceramics - Dallas Makerspace

1 Like

Thanks Everyone! We’re keeping an eye out for a glaze class in the future.

1 Like