1986 DFW.BBS list

Sadly, I threw away the old c64, the 1541 drive, and the 5.25" disk holder full of disks I had crammed probably 1000 games on. Seems that was what c64 was best at. And it still worked too, but I had surmised that it was essentially valueless, as there was a new BBS running that had all the computers hooked up to it. And some places, you didn’t even have to dial up!

twitch

:anguished:

:cry:

Cool. I didn’t realize there were so many active. Looks like it’s time to break out the old Anderson Jacobson 300 baud modem.

Something else I’d really like to see is a list of mainframes with live connections, either dialup or network. The Living Computer Museum has some. Alas, their Sigma 9 seems to have been plagued with memory issues and has been down for over a year, so no chance to connect. . .

Do we have or want a BBS? Perhaps it can mirror talk and discord?

1 Like

we’ve had a BBS online and that google voice device is hooked up to allow dial in/out for all the machines in the museum.

After a year of trying most where scared to login and wanting to “check more into it” or didn’t want “another login”. Though yes, we could write the script for it to have a door into talk and discord. How would we get more users to actually use a ascii based system that also works via satellites?

1 Like

First, it should be written from scratch because that is more fun. Second, it should support ANSI with Art. Third, it should use either the Talk Username/Password and/or Active Directory. Forth, it should be accessable via Telnet or SSH and a webpage. The idea is to give a feel for BBSes with real world application. It should answer the question, what would it have been like to use Talk or Discord in the 80s.

We may skip telnet because of security issues with the passwords.

I think it should also provide a way to use Talk on Vintage computers and other low powered computers. It might could support many terminal types including CBM characters. :wink:

So that is what we had.

The code base is MysticBBS so we’re able to do fidonet, ssh and also accessible via shellinabox. If anyone is good with pascal then the active directory part would be easy via ldapsearch(1).

Telnet would be needed over radio lines but not internet lines (fcc and encryption laws #><)

1 Like

One can do SSL authenication without encryption.
https://hamwan.org/Standards/Network%20Engineering/Authentication/SSL%20without%20Encryption.html

Or other forms

There would just need to be some kind of big warning that all text is going over the radio in plain text except passwords. We may want to disallow PMs and DMS Member areas for this form.

This looks interesting …

1 Like