1/2 inch box-joint / finger joint jig

I am going to be working on a project shortly where I would need to create a jig for making 1/2" ‘fingers’ with a 1/2" space between them. Should be a fairly simple jig, but thought I would ask before starting if there is already a jig around the shop that I could use.

Just thought I would ask first so that I could bring the extra wood if needed to make the jig on my own.

Thanks fellow makers!

-K

Check this out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AiPzFNsuN2k

3 Likes

Nice, thanks for the link. I’ve watched a few of this guys videos. Thanks for the post, i’ll likely use this method to create my own as it is pretty simple. I just gotta check to see if there is the appropriate sized dado stack.

1 Like

I’ve made a few in the past but none are still there.

I recently tried to make one, but ran into some frustrating issues that I couldn’t figure out.

On the delta I tried both the frued stack and the old stack and both were proving to give me issues where the pins and grooves weren’t perfectly straight. Think of minute dovetails. On a 5/8" tall pins and 3/8" wide joints I was measuring a difference of over .02 from top to bottom. That’s enough of an angle that the joint can’t close.

If you happen to have success please let me know! Good luck

I’m planing right now to be out at the space tonight to try and see if I can get a simple jig made. I just hope I have enough spare wood. fingers crossed

So I went out to the space on Saturday, but ran into a snag. I couldnt figure out how to remove the splitter/riving knife after the dado blade so I just used the opportunity to verify my spacing on the dado blade to be sure it fit into the 1/2 in fingers I was wanting.

Any assistance would be most appreciated.

Thanks!

To the right of the on/off switch of the delta, at just below the rail for the fence is a handle. Pull the handle toward you and it will release the riving knife holder. There’s also a way inside the by the blade/riving knife IIRC but I don’t use that one. Same thing, two ways. Good luck

I’m not certain, but didn’t the router table have an INCRA jig/fence on it? If the templates are available, then any size finger or dovetail joints can be made.

Yes, the incra should be able to do dovetails, box joints, etc. But the fence has been abused and can’t even close up straight :frowning: That router setup had the promise of being amazing with quick dovetails for small boxes and the like. We should consider a setup where we have two router setups. One with sacrificial fences that we can make and a top that can withstand getting beat up and one for fine wood working where a absurdly expensive router fence setup with micro adjustments isn’t getting thrashed on.

2 Likes

Let me know if you need help with it. I’ve made one before and they’re pretty easy to do. Was going to make one in about a month or so for a new project but maybe we’ll already have one before then.

I do seem to recall reading that someone was making such a thing already though? I can’t recall the details but it was recent. I think maybe in one of the woodshop committee notes.

Second this. It killed me to see the Incra / Woodpecker get destroyed by inconsiderate idiots. I pitched the first $100 for that setup and for it to get destroyed was very sad.

1 Like

I need to place an order for our phenolic laminated top. I’ll talk to mark about it. He may be making one out of mdf right now as a test as I’ve sent him the vcarve file for a incra top