1/2" diamond hole saw

does anyone know if we havea 1/2" diamond tipped hole saw, or anything like this at DMS?
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Milwaukee-1-2-in-Diamond-Plus-Mini-Hole-Saw-49-56-0511/204994403
I need to drill a small hole in some granite is the desired end result, so any tips or alternate methods you have would be appreciated

Can you wait two days?

Tips on cutting from a review on Amazon:

My instructions said I needed a 1/2" hole. I used a regular cordless drill. It took 3 bits, but I got it through. I marked the hole with an indelible marker then built a little pond about 1/2 inch deeo around the mark. I used plumbers putty to make a good seal. I filled that with clear water so I could still see the mark as I started drilling. To keep the bit from “walking” I held it steady and started drilling at an angle on the edge. This started a little groove, then I slowly got the drill to vertical. I drilled until the water started boiling. Yes, it is hot. Then I swapped bits. The bit I took out had some granite in it. This is needed so you can get all the way through. Perhaps I didn’t need to, but I swapped bits again until I used three. I kept the RPMs at the upper end of the drill capacity, but not all the way as fast as it would go. …nice clean cut.

The moral of the story? Don’t take the ability to drill a hole for granite.

5 Likes

any idea what RPM to run the bits at?

The ones I have recommend using a cutting oil for glass. This is the set I bought - not high dollar but I rarely need them

This is the cutting oil recommended for glass, don’t know about granite, probabl;y something like 3-in-1 would work, WD40 probably too light.:

I have used Home Depot hole saws to drill through tiles, they work fine and I expect the hole saw you link to should work just fine if you supply adequate water…

Providing sufficient water to the hole saw while you are drilling is the major issue. I used the hole saw on a drill press with the tile submerged in a flat pan of water and it worked great. If you are drilling through a cabinet top or a backsplash, you will have to come up with some other way of keeping the hole saw constantly wet and containing the runoff.

Water should work on granite. Glass is really susceptible to cracking so oil is probably a safer way to go, although cheap glass like in bottles will porbably work fine with water.

Home Depot had some, last I checked. Elliot’s Hardware also has them…

Use plenty of water. (coolant) Run at high RPM.

If you’re drilling a countertop in the field, you can take plumbers putty and build a dam around your hole, then fill it with water and drill through the pond.

3 Likes

I have done exactly this. Drilling glass (OK, technically leaded crystal) with plumbers putty … denatured alcohol worked well as a coolant.