Would anyone like to redesign the vinyl holder

I purchased the vinyl holder for the space a solid year ago- it works well but isn’t great. I’ve started buying larger longer rolls of the more common colors and it’s just not suited to this size holder. Rolls are precariously positioned and if not careful they can come down when you’re getting another color.

We need deeper grooves and a wider area from roll to roll to accommodate the roll. This is a simple item but provides us easy access to supplies. I could easily see this made on the CNC (I need a refresher course and to take the test) or even with simple tooling in the woodshop. It need not be made out of metal unless someone just wants to get crazy with it and we can use the poles we currently have to save on costs. I will try to find an example of exactly what I’m speaking about.

Anyways - anyone want to take this project on?

I think the concept of the current vinyl holder is OK, but it just seems to have some problems with the details. Are you thinking about something like this?

I agree the design is good but just needs to be deeper nitches to kinda “lock in” the rolls and more space between each pole. That would work well as long as it has a good amount of space out from the wall to accommodate the thick rolls - but yes you got it right (as always).

the best “example of the idea of the deeper nitch I could find” please note I think this is just plain visually off-putting it’s just the concept:

The metal would be easy enough to cut out on the plasmaCAM, provided the metal is around for use or is purchased.

The tube part can simply be hardwood dowel.

2 Likes

Would you like to attempt this? I’m good with it being whatever honestly. I just felt would would be cheaper. It’s made of this industrial foam type product.

What are the weights involved? How heavy are these rolls?

I’m not sure about the exact weight; but, I’m sure either wood or metal would work just fine.

There are a couple of photos of the current one here:

The rods from the existing one could be used in the new one - so basically would just need to build a frame with deeper slots that are spaced more widely apart.

There is an almost brand new roll of red vinyl in the room right now. I used some yesterday afternoon; but, not enough to make a significant difference in the weight or diameter of the roll. If you or anyone there today can measure the diameter of that roll, that would give you a good idea of how much they would need to be spaced out.

:slight_smile:

PlasmaCam would cut that out easily. I have some 7 gauge at home I can donate to the cause.

2 Likes

This is a total guess but the really large ones (we currently have 4 I believe) are probably around the 8lb mark. The thinner ones - probably around the 2-3lb mark. In total I’m guessing its a solid 50lbs it’s supporting. It’s in two sections. Honestly what we have is good it just could be better for our needs.

All of this information is just because in my head I’m comparing it to thanksgiving turkeys and the weight of my son…soooooooo ya we might want to actually weigh it before we begin. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I may even have some steel pipe or ERW tube that I’d donate as well. It will likely need clean up though.

1 Like

It’s really great how much you donate - in time, efforts, trainings and materials… Thanks! :smiley:

As far as the tubing is concerned, it’s difficult to tell in the photos from the link I posted; but, the rods are some sort of metal (not sure what type; but, it’s a bit heavy and definitely durable…). I’m not suggesting that what you could offer wouldn’t be better; but, rather - what we already have for rods may work well as they are. :slight_smile:

I re hung the current one and wood or metal brackets or rods will be fine. This stuff isn’t that heavy, it just wants to unravel and the diameter is a bit large for the current spacing.

Alt idea: angled shelves would allow ditching the rods and make it easier to extract and insert rolls.

1 Like

Having been down this road before, angled shelves are really a pain in the ass. The best solution is a hanger that uses rods that are the same Dimension as those that the vinyl feeds off of into the vinyl cutter. That way you lift the whole assembly into place, and that’s all you have to do. The feeder likely uses EMT, so it should be fairly simple to just cut EMT to the correct length.

I believe I understand what you are suggesting - which makes sense, if the cutter used rods to hold the vinyl rolls. With our cutter, we just place the roll of vinyl on two rollers… (Just FYI more than anything… :slight_smile: )

I think my biggest concerns with shelves would would be us short people trying to pull the vinyl out of them, and the dust that would collect… The current vinyl gets dusty as it is. It seems like it may be worse if on shelves.

At any rate, Thanks to EVERYONE who has been coming up with suggestions! This is the kind of thread that makes me SMILE! :smiley:

1 Like